Using Outlook 2007 - opened Outlook this AM and my Inbox and…

Customer Question
Using Outlook 2007 - opened...
Using Outlook 2007 - opened Outlook this AM and my Inbox and all sub-folders are nowhere to be found. I cannot find them in any view. How do I restore?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/29/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Renju, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
Renju
Renju, Computer Software Engineer
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

Did you try to add any new email accounts to your Outlook ?

Open Outlook. Click Tools -> Account Settings -> E-mail tab .
Are you able to view your account name there ?

If you are able to see it, click Set as Default and close and re open your Outlook 2007.

Post me the results.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
No - no new accounts were added to Outlook - just mine - Stephen Trumbull

Under Tools/Email accounts I see the following information:
Name - Microsoft Exchange 'Selected email account delivers new email messages to the following location: Mailbox-Stephen Trumbull\Inbox in data file C:\Users\Stephen\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost

After closing Outlook/reopening - same result - I normally see Mailbox-Stephen Trumbull with a Folder called 'Inbox' w/ approx. 30 sub-folders within the Inbox which is where I read/process email. Now however, I can only see incoming email by going to the 'Unread Mail' folder, but once read, it then disappears somewhere.

Click on the Folder List in the View menu.
Are you now able to see your folders. ?
I do not see that option under the View Tab -
Ok.

Can you tell me the options that are present in the View tab ?
Arrange By
Current View
Auto Preview
Expand/Collapse Groups
Navigation Pane
To-Do Bar
Reading Pane
Reminders Window
Tool Bar
Status Bar
Refresh

Ok.

Click Navigation Pane and check if its Normal. If not, click Normal.
Now check if the folders are present.

Else, try this:
Press Windows Key and R together.
Now, the run window comes up:
Type outlook.exe /resetnavpane and click OK. (Note that there is a space between exe and /)

Now, open Outlook and check if the folders are present.
Normal was clicked. Followed directions to resetnavpane, opened Outlook - same view. Inbox and sub-folders are still not showing
Ok.

Which email account are you trying to access using Outlook ?
Tell me the part to the right of @ sign.
My email address is [email protected] -- the mailbox name isXXXXX

I want the rest - to the right of @ sign for eg; like yahoo.com or gmail.com etc
ah -sorry, momentarily dyslexic - @musicregistry.com

Ok.

Do you have an online web access(OWA) system for your company where you will be able to access emails using Internet Explorer ?

Have you tried to access your mails using that way ?
yes - the same folders are missing - the folder view is exactly the same. I am the only one having this problem (there's only 4 of us)

Yes, I have just learned from your site that you are Publisher/GM of your company.
Nice to talk to you..

Is there any chance that you have deleted those folders unknowingly ?

because if the same error shows up in both Outlook and using your OWA, its usually a problem with the server that is managing your email accounts.

Could you once more check with your colleagues that all their folders are showing correctly. ?
Also, are you not able to view even your Inbox using the internet web email access ?
I doubt seriously that those folders were deleted. I specifically remember checking Outlook on both my desktop and laptop before closing each last evening. I checked w/ others in the office - no one else is having this problem

Also, I am able to search for specific emails and the search results show items from yesterday (pre-problem) and today (post-problem) located in the 'missing' folders so I am confident that the folders have not been deleted and that my email is being processed into my inbox, I just cannot find the inbox on the navagation pane so that it and the other inbox sub-folders are viewable

Could you check if you are able to view your emails in your online web access ?
For eg: receive messages to your inbox.

I checked online and the folder structure is the same. However, I did see a folder option called http%3A**feeds.feedburner.com*typepad.DqMf.EML that was never there before. When I click on that (online email server), then it loads my Inbox w/ my incoming emails, but still does not show sub-folders
Hi Steve,

This does seem like a problem with your email server (not with your computer settings).
Can you check if the same option (feeds.feedburner.com) is coming for your colleagues ?

Edited by Renju on 6/29/2010 at 7:04 PM EST
I just logged on via web to two other email accounts (@musicregistry.com) -they are both normal both online and within Outlook. It is only my account.
Ok.

Are you subscribing to any feeds from feedburner.com ?
If not,
Open Outlook and delete unnecessary feeds by going to
Tools -> Account Settings -> RSS Feeds tab.

and

Also remove the RSS feeds from Send/ Receive in your Outlook.
Refer to this link to learn how;
http://www.geekblogger.org/2010/04/add-or-remove-rss-feeds-in-outlook-2007.html

Ater making these changes, re-open Outlook.
Click Tools -> Account Settings -> Email Tab.
Click your Stephen Trumbull mailbox and select Change.
Make sure that the settings are the same when you set up the account for the first time.
Once you finish this,
Click Send/Receive and select Send/receive for your Stephen Trumbull mailbox and check if your folders are shown.

yes I am. I use the RSS feeds for work - will removing them from send/receive delete them or just stop updating them?
Ok.
Then don't delete them from your RSS Feeds.
Just disable them from send & receive (It only prevents them from updating)
And then follow the rest of the steps.
done - no change in folder layout
Ok.

Hmmm.. This is a tough one..
Let us try once again with the Folder Layout:
Click View tab and click Navigation Pane and click Customize.
In the list, check if all the folders are ticked. If not tick them.
Hi Steve,

If the above step also doesnt help you, then your Inbox might have got corrupted and is not able to open in Outlook.
I recommend you to run the Inbox repair tool of Outlook to check for any errors in your inbox.
Here is how to do it.
  1. Close Microsoft Outlook 2007.
  2. Click Start , type scanpst.exe in the Start Search field.
  3. Double click the Scanpst.exe file on the list to open the Inbox Repair Tool.
  4. Type the path and the file name of the personal folders (.pst or .ost) file or click Browse to locate the file by using the Windows file system.In your case, i think the ost file is located here: C:\Users\Stephen\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost
  5. Click Start to start repairing the inbox.
  6. After repair , open your Outlook and click File -> Open -> Personal Folder -> and select your outlook.ost file and check if Outlook is able to open the contents.

Does the repair tool find any errors ?
Keep me posted on your results.

Edited by Renju on 6/29/2010 at 9:13 PM EST
already did that before I contacted you - there were errors corrected, but nothing changed before/after
Ok.

Did the Inbox Repair Tool manage to correct all the errors ?

Also, try to manually open the OST file using File ->Open -> Outlook Data File.
Select your OST file.(C:\Users\Stephen\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost)
and click Open.

Post me the results.
Yes - all errors corrected. I need to put this off until tomorrow - will resume w/ your suggestion at that time. Thank you -
Sure.
It is disappointing that it is taking so long.
But, we will get to the bottom of this problem.

Make sure to try the below steps and then post me the results when you are free.

1.
Open Outlook. Click View tab and click Navigation Pane and click Customize.

2.
Press Windows Key and R together.
Now, the run window comes up:
Type outlook.exe /cleanviews and click OK.
Type outlook.exe /safe and click OK.
Open Outlook and check if the problem is solved.

3.
Try to manually open the OST file using File ->Open -> Outlook Data File.
and click Open.

Thanks for your patience and co operation.