Hi, I have just purchased a Belkin Surf F7D2301 wireless N…

Customer Question
Hi, I have just purchased...
Hi, I have just purchased a Belkin Surf F7D2301 wireless N router, a Surf & Share F7D2101 adapter, and what I wanted to do with my old Belkin Wireless N Router F5D8236-4v1 is to configure it as a wireless access point.

I have set up the new router, and it works. It has the SSID and password XXXXX the factory provided. I then installed the driver for the F7D2101 adapter on my other laptop, and configured it to recognize the SSID and connect using the same password, but it is not connecting.

Once I get the adapter working, I want to then set up the old router as a wireless access point, so that I can work on the other side of the brick wall of my house, and capture the WiFi signals in other rooms of the house. I need help configuring the NAT so that both routers are not trying to access the internet at the same time, in competition, but work together, sharing the same connection...

I'd love some help!!!

Thanks,

Alexander Wood
Canajoharie, NY
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/29/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Christopher Bessler, Director of Computer Engineering replied 8 years ago
Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Director of Computer Engineering
Chat Conversation Started
Christopher Bessler :

Hello, I willl be happy to assist you.

Christopher Bessler :

It looks like I missed you.

Christopher Bessler :

This setup is not a difficult one.

Christopher Bessler :

Here is a small diagram:

Christopher Bessler :

http://0.tqn.com/d/compnetworking/1/0/i/3/hybrid-diagram-1.jpg
Full Size Image

Christopher Bessler :

Basically you simly have to configure the secondary router as a Wireless Access point (in the web interface this is simply a check box).

Christopher Bessler :

And then you have to connect it via ethernet cable to your main router.

Christopher Bessler :

Once this is done, the WAP will not try to access the internet. It will route the wireless requests to the router through the ethernet cable and the MAIN router will access the internet.

Christopher Bessler :

If you have any questions about this, or if I have misunderstood, please let me know.

Christopher Bessler :

I am going to switch this to a Q&A.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

_______________________________________________________________________
Thank you for your question. If my answer helped at all, please accept. Positive feedback and/or a bonus is always greatly appreciated!