I have a lot of loan files on my computer that I downloaded…

I have a lot of...
I have a lot of loan files on my computer that I downloaded and saved as Adobe PDF files. Now, when I want to view them, I get "access denied". I need to be able to read and view these Adobe documents. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
6/29/2010
vasanth
vasanth, Computer Software Engineer

Hello there!

Please uninstall previously installed adobe reader by going to start->control panel-> add/remove programs

and install it again from here

http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

first download the setup and then install it

thanks

I removed all Adobe programs using Control Panel, went to the site you told me to go to, downloaded the program and resinstalled it. When I try to read a PDF file I still get
"access denied". Your solution does not work.

ok, if you have install the adobe reader then save the file to your computer and then open the adobe reader and go to open locate the required where it saved/located. If do not have installed adobe reader then go to the following website and download the adobe reader to install it first then try the steps as i mentioned above.

Click here to download the adobe reader

thanks

i just sent you an email....still getting "access denied" when trying to read the PDF file
I still cannot read the PDFfiles after removing, downloading and then reinstalling Adobe.

Still get "access denied"

I opt out ,so that the question is open for other experts and they can help you.

thanks

Thanks for your help. Maybe somebody else can figure it out. I will try my IT dept in my company to see what they say.
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer

Are you an administrator of this PC?

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> System Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> Groups -> double click Administrators

Is your user listed here?

Yes, I am admin. I am the only one who created these files and the only user of the computer

Okay. I just wanted to verify that your username is XXXXX XXXXX in the administrators group and no other group.

Do you have access to another PC and can you send the file to someone else to test? I want to verify that the problem exists locally on your PC and it is not the file.

Thank you.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the files on my old computer too, and I cannot open them either. I get "access denied".
Okay, the issue is with the files. When you created them, did you put any security settings on them (on purpose or inadvertently)?
I went to Adm and yes I am listed in the User Group

Make sure you are in the Administrators group. This is prevent, unrelated issues in the future.

I don't recall putting any security issues on the files at least I did not intend to
when I googled the "access denied", a registry cleaner pops up
I have to leave in 15 minutes for about a half an hour. It is 3:20 here. I leave the office at 4:45 and will be going home but take my pc with me home and can check back. I really appreciate the attempts to solve this weird problem.

"Access Denied" alone can be very open to meaning. Access Denied specifically to PDFs in your case will be related to security issues attached to the file.

Are you able to open ANY PDF other than the ones you are attempting to open?

Try to open this one http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/pdfs/pdfaccess.pdf

No problem. I will be here, just reply to this thread.
I scanned a document as a PDF, then I was able to open and read that one. I could open the Adobe file you just told me to try to open OK
Okay, then the problem is the security settings on the documents you created. Is it possible for you to recreate them from the raw format (i.e. the Word document)?
I'm curious. I scanned a document to pdf. I save it to my loan file. I was then able to open it and view it.

I note that in the file, the one I just scanned and saved was in black print. All the others than I cannot read are in Green print.........

Are they supposed to be in black or green?

If you scanned the "access denied" files to PDF, it is also possible that they are corrupted---which would be a false positive as a security setting issue.

I cannot create them again from the raw documents. They came from my Lender, title company, etc.
I did that for a HUD-1 document because I had a hard copy. The file I scanned and saved can be read OK. The saved copy on my computer, which is the same document, cannot be read.

Is there a way you can contact them and see if they can reproduce the PDFs?

The PDFs that are giving you the "access is denied" message are most likely corrupt, as we have isolated the issue to those files---(#1. The files will not open on your PC or another PC. ; #2. Other PDFs from the web open fine on your PC. ; #3. The scanned PDF created on your PC works fine.)

I will have to check back tomorrow
No problem. I will be here. Just reply to this thread. Good luck.
I still have the problem so I am not sure the answer is fully justified at this point. I am checking with my company internet people.
Okay. Please let me know what they say.

I am very confident that the PDF files are corrupts, as you have been unsuccessful in opening them on any PC.
Mr. Clark: Here is what I am hearing. The Loan Files that I cannot open were created on an older ThinkPad using Win XP Pro, and when they were created, because they were customer loan files with very sensitive data, they were read/write protected. Later on the decision was made to install Win 7 on the old ThinkPad, and then the Loan Files were just copied to an external hard drive where they reside now.

Now, I have a new HP computer and try to read the files from the external HD, but cannot do it because they were read/write protected. There are approximately 100 or more separate files in the Loan Files and they are all in green print, meaning they were write protected.

Thus, these files cannot now be opened. I was told there is a computer guru in this area that claims he can open and read the files, so I will take the HD to him next week and see if he can open them.

It does not appear that all 100 or so of the files are "corrupted", but simply write protected that cannot now be removed for some strange reason.

If the computer guy says they are "corrupted" files, I will ACCEPT. I am not trying to get something for nothing at all, and only want to find out what the facts are. I am not suggesting you are wrong, but will see what the other guy can come up with.

Regards,
No problem. I am interested to see the result of what the "other guy" comes up with.

It is very possible that there is a security issue (i.e. read/write protected) as I suggested earlier in the thread. I ruled out security once you stated you did not place them on there (yet I failed to ask if the creator placed them on there, so I am at fault there). With security ruled out, the only other answer would be corruption.

Now, since security has been verified as being applied on the documents, only the creator knows how to remove it.

By all means, do not press ACCEPT unless you are satisfied with my answer. I do not want you to release funds to me unless you are satisfied with my work.

Update me on the results. I am interested to hear the answer.
Thanks. I will see what they come up with.

I tried something on my own earlier this morning. I created a PDF file. I then went to Properties and write protected it. The file became green on my computer. Unprotected files are black. So, the green clearly indicates the files were write protected.

I personally do not recall write protecting them but maybe I did so either accidentally or unknowingly. I do remember playing around with "properties" on the Loan Folder which holds all the files and I could have very well done it without realizing it. I did wonder why they were shown in green print as opposed to other files.

I will let you know. I would like to pay you something in any event for your courtesy and time spent.
No problem. I will be here. Just reply to this thread.

Whether my answer is right or wrong, I would like to know the answer (in case I get this scenario again), and I would like to make sure your answer was answered, whether it was by me or not.

Good luck! Cool
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
Because this is going to take too long and I am extremely busy with my business, I am going to Accept this because you have put your time and effort into it and deserve something for your efforts.

If I get around to figuring this all out, I will let you know. I think the problem is the files were write protected on a computer that had Win 7 installed on it after taking XP off and somehow when the files were transferred to HD, the problem arose.

Regards,
Nick
Nick, Consultant
Hi My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am not answering this for any other reason but to help you out of your problem .
First of all you need to be the administrator of your machine

If you right click on the file and go to "properties" then "security" then "owner" you will be able to take ownership of those files. Once you have ownership you will be able to give yourself "Full access" which will allow you to access them.

this is not a well known way in the windows XP field but comes from the "old" Windows NT days which Windows XP is based upon as the reason you were receiving the "Access denied " report was that the file did not know who you were on the new machine as your credentials did not match the security setting on that file. It is a common mistake that a lot of people make.

Hope this helps and sorts out your problem for you please let me Mr Clark and you Computer guy know if it all comes out OK
Thanks Nick. I will try it, but I already issued an ACCEPT since Clark put so much time and effort into this. I am not a guy who wants something for nothing. I will try what you suggest, and if it works, I will let you know.

Did any of my comments on this problem make any sense about the problem?
Yes, but the new computer that I want to read the files has Win 7, not Win XP
You can still take ownership of a file in Win 7 if you are not too sure even though you still do it the" XP" way here is a link to a site that gives you step by step instructions on how to do it in Win 7 Please Click here

its ok Im not one of those that require payment all the time. Im now semi retired and do this instead of sitting in front of the TV all night ( come to think of it is there really any difference ?? ;) ) but at least it keep my brain working

Edited by Nick on 7/2/2010 at 11:01 AM EST
Thanks Nick. I too am semi-retired, but I do reverse mortgages to keep me active and I really enjoy helping seniors improve their lives. I went to your reference and am printing out the instructions now and will follow them and see if I can get these damn files to open.

They are loan files. They are printed in green on my screen which means at some point they were write protected.

Do you think this could be some kind of an issue with Win 7?
am 99% sure it will work for you am guessing us "seniors" should stick together Wink
Any problems give me a shout you can click on my name and add it as a favorite am sure after all these years I can sort most things out ( hence the very grey hair).
No its just Microsoft's security the thing is when you move a file from one PC to another the SID ( security Identifier ) on each machine is different from the other ( a bit like having an address of 14 love grove NYC and 14 Love Grove KY) the user name maybe the same Ie: 14 Love grove but the end bit ( the security for that person ) is different

Edited by Nick on 7/2/2010 at 12:40 PM EST
Thanks Nick. I will try it this morning and see if it works.

Why doesn't Just Answer have a deal where you can take control of the computer and fix these things? HP does it when I have printer problems.

Nick:

I got to Granting Permissions procdure.

I locate the folder, right click for properties. so far, so good. however, instruction 3 on page 5 of 17 says "click on Edit button in properties".

There is no Edit button in properties following this procedure. I see nothing about "confirm UAC elevation request"

it should say "take ownership" once you click "apply"have that you are "god" for that file
as for remote support right now it isn't available under JA but they are working on it ( and hope it comes fast as we could sort out nearly 90% of the problems in half the time )