I lost AOL Computer Check-up during a reinstallation. When…

Customer Question
I lost AOL Computer Check-up...
I lost AOL Computer Check-up during a reinstallation. When I try to download it in AOL, I get the message: "418 UNUSED - The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. . . . More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

How can I correct this error so that I can get AOL Computer Check-up? I have other optimizers, but they don't provide the same features.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/29/2010
Tech Support Specialist: NeOh, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
NeOh
NeOh, Computer Software Engineer
Chat Conversation Started
NeOh :

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer

Customer:

When I reinstalled AOL about a week ago. Computer Check-up got wiped out.

Customer:

Am I still in queue? I'm not sure if I clicked "Accept Answer" by mistake when I got your message. Anyway, I haven't received any type of an answer to my question. Just your message and the first one, "when this issue started?"

Tech Support Specialist: Steven R., Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Steven R.
Steven R., Computer Support Specialist

Hello, thank you for using JustAnswer.com!

There are many possibilities for this issue. AOL is difficult to deal with sometime; so I can understand your frustration. I'm not sure if you have tried any of the one-click fixes.

Instead of trying to list them all on here, I am going to point you to the page with one-click fixes

When the page loads, select "AOL Software" in the tabs to the left

Then look inside the box (well, just below it) and select "Quick Restore"

Click "Get Started"

Follow the instructions it provides.

To get started follow the directions above at the link below.

http://fixes.aol.com/fixes/ocfdownload.html

If you found this information helpful, please click "accept" only if you are satisfied. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day!

I followed your instructions for fixes.aol.com, and got the following message:

"Installation complete - AOL One-click Fixes installed -

click LAUNCH to start One-click Fixes"

When I clicked LAUNCH, I got the following message:

"AOL software cannot start up correctly. Please try again, restart your computer,

or reinstall software."

Error code 1

Error starting: ee://aol/augofixdriver

I restarted my computer, then reinstalled, but got the same results.

if you have an anti-virus program installed, make sure to temporarily disabled/snooze it before trying the next step.

Go to this page, and follow the directions. THEN try the repair.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-7343-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=275566&messageID=2611122&tag=content;leftCol

The path it shows can be copied. (it will start with a % sign)

Then click start.

In the search box, right-click and paste.

Delete the file.

This ought to do the trick!

Click accept only if this works, if it doesn't, let me know!

Good Luck

Edited by Steven R. on 6/29/2010 at 4:39 PM EST
<p>I followed your instruction a far as copying the following path:</p><p>%programfilescommon%\aol\1179945166\ee\services\frontierapp\ver2_8_6_1 </p><p> </p><p>I didn't find any place to click start, nor did I see a search box. </p><p>And my original error when I clicked LAUNCH was ee://aol/autofixer</p><p>Since my original reply, I looked at mycomputer files and found the following file, which looks similar to the path in the instruction:</p><p>C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1179788234\ee\services\AutoFix Driver\Ver2_4_19_2\Autofix Driver.dll (5/25/07)</p><p>Is this the file I should delete?</p><p>This instruction was looking for ee:/aol/FrontierApp.</p>

My apologies,

I meant Click Start (The little Orb that has a Windows logo in it in your taskbar) in the lower left side of Windows... a little box will appear right above the Windows Logo, that is the search box (it will say "Search programs and Files")

That is where you want to paste the path

The path will open up the folder where it is located.

Delete this whole folder

Then go back to the one-click fixes and select the original "Quick Restore"

OR

If this is too confusing, you can

Click Start

Click "Computer" and select the drive where AOL is installed...this is usually C:\

Double-Click "Program Files"

Double-Click "Common Files"

Double-Click "AOL"

Double-Click "1179945166"

In that folder, you should see a folder called "ee"

Right-Click that folder and select "Delete" (when it asks if you want to include all sub-directories, click yes)

Now that the "ee" folder is deleted

Go back to the One-click Fixes site

Click "Get Started"

Follow the instructions it provides.

The idea is that we want to get rid of the whole "ee" folder and THEN repair it.

Try these steps and let me know if this helps; if it does not fix your issue, then you may have a virus/malware and will need to run a scan to get rid of it.

Regards,

I followed your instructions (1) trying to paste the following path into the search box

%programfilescommon%\aol\1179945166\ee\services\frontierapp\ver2_8_6_1 .

It wouldn't accept it. Every time I tried Edit/Paste, it left that screen.

(2) I followed the "Computer" sequence, C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\AOL\

There was no folder"1179945166," but there was a "1179788234" folder that had an "ee" sub-folder. When I tried to right-click and delete that, the system wouldn't allow it, saying it might be needed by other applications. I tried several times, but it didn't work.

I regularly run anti-virus and anti-malware scans, so I don't think that is the problem.

I don't know why the "1179788234" folder is not the name we were looking for. I recently reinstalled AOL from a CD, and it has been updating whenever I sign off since then.

Do you think I should go ahead and individually delete the files under "ee" and then delete "ee"?

Will the One-click fixes then install the correct files?

As I understand it, the one-click fixes should replace missing files and repair corrupted files as needed.

The only other thing that comes to mind, and you may not like this idea, but when you installed AOL, did you make sure your anti-virus was disabled during install?

If it was not disabled, it could have caused a "hiccup" and corrupted a file.

I would recommend removing AOL completely, every folder, every everything

Disable your A/V software for maybe an hour, then reinstall it fresh

On a personal note, I have found that AOL seems to cause people more problem than good.

So...uninstall everything, even go in and delete the AOL folder in program files....look for every instance of AOL on your computer and delete it.

If this doesn't help, i will gladly opt-out and let another tech try, but AOL is such a pain, that I doubt AOL even knows how to get rid of it fully.

let me know what you think/want to do.

You can try the removal of individual files and let the one click replace OR scrub AOL from your PC and do a fresh install

I just found this in the database; perhaps it will be of assistance

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/38ia7-i-get-a-418-unused-error-message-when-trying-to-acess-my

I will opt-out if you are still not having any luck.

Your answer didn't solve my problem. I have gone around in circles trying your suggestions, but to no avail. The website advertises that you only pay when you are satisfied; otherwise, the deposit will be refunded. I am still open to try any other solutions you may think of, and I am willing to accept the answer when the problem is solved. However, I can't consider it finished until then.

I have also run a McAfee virus scan, and no viruses were found. I tried uninstalling everything completely from AOL and then reinstalling; however, Windows wouldn't allow me to delete the "ee" folder or anything under the Common files/ AOL folder. I wonder if I could delete these files under the DOS prompt. Or is that a risk to my system?

You are correct, you are not required to "accept" until you are satisfied. Removing files under the DOS prompt *could work, but I would only advise that if one is an expert with DOS commands. So, I would not risk it, to err on the side of caution.

As I have not been able to fix the issue, I think I know another expert that can help you. I will send your post over to them, and see if they any better ideas. Unfortunately, AOL is known to be difficult at times, and I want to make sure you get your issue resolved. Perhaps the expert I recommend will have an idea that I have missed.

Thank you for allowing me to try and help you; I must admit, it stings a little when I can't solve a problem effectively. I am going to opt-out now, and that will allow another expert to assist you. Before you give up, give the expert a try; sometimes, we have so much on our plate that we overlook the most obvious answer. In my case, my mother is really sick and may have clouded my thoughts somewhat. I am now going to transfer you and I wish you the best of luck in resolving the AOL issue.

Edited by Steven R. on 7/2/2010 at 6:01 PM EST