I now have outlook express email and have had it for quite…

Customer Question
I now have outlook express...
I now have outlook express email and have had it for quite a few years now but I have recently bought a new computor and can not get it unless I go thru charter but I can not see my folders or mail that I have left to read later. I am not sure what my password XXXXX XXXXX I never had to use it.
when I went to charter way back it was the one they used, I remember msn taking some of it over but that is too long ago to remember it all. Please try to help me as I have tried everything I have been told but no luck. I guess you can tell I'm not computor literet. [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/29/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

I have plenty of patience, and lots of time this morning..

To help you with your issue.. i need to clarify a few things..

you mentioned a password.. were you reffering to the charter email account?

can you still log into the charter email account directly through a webpage?

I tryed my charter password XXXXX it does not work except to go to charter. They will let me thru to read my mail but only the new mail and not to my folders.

I also tried outlook express but could not get thru as I did not have a password XXXXX is how I found out I needed a password. As I said before I have had this account for quite sometime and don't know where to start. I'm sure its here somewhere but have no idea what to look for.

Ok.. im going to do the best i can to help you out... I still need to clarify some things..

when you say you can log into your charter email online..

you said you see the new mail.. but not the folders?

is it possible that the folders are on your old machine inside outlook express..

do you still have access to your old machine?
My older computor has lots of problems, its full to the top and all the memory it can hold, it has decided to not let me do any dv work ,i can not record or listen to anything.It has taken a spell or two and not let print. I can so far go and read my mail on the computor but I cant print it out or put in a folder as both are useless.

Ok.. im not suggesting you use it permanently.. i just want to get the mail folder off it..

can it burn a cd.. or .. do you have a usb memory stick handy?

if so..

shut your old computer down.. then start it,, immediately start pressing f8 and choose safe mode..

when its booted up let me know.

It is in safe mode what now

ok... what version of windows is on the old computer>?

It is in safe mode what now the computor is xp

Thanks..

first thing i want you to do .. is show hidden files

click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.

On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options..

Click the View tab.

Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

then..

i want you to do a computer a computer search ..

click start.. click search... type in exactly *.dbx and press enter

do you see any inbox.dbx file or any of the folder names you were talking about followed by ,dbx

if you do.. right click them. click copy.. and then go to your desktop background on an empty spot.. and right click , and left click paste..

let me know if you find any of the files.. and if so.. we need to copy them to a cd.. or to a usb stick so we transfer them to the good computer..