Hi, I have never been able to save a text document on a CD.

Customer Question
Neither one of my computers...
Hi, I have never been able to save a text document on a CD. Neither one of my computers will do it. I just transcribed a book for a friend and it has to be on a CD for submission to the publisher. Everytime I try to save anything on a CD, the computer tells me the drive is unavailable.

Help! I'm desparate.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/29/2010
Tech Support Specialist: LeGin, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 8 years ago
LeGin
LeGin, Computer Hardware Engineer
hello,

Can you see this drive (CD-ROM) in my computer?
No
This seem issue with the Drive itself.
Try this...
If this is a laptop shutdown the computer, re seat the cd-rom drive and then try reboot and again check in My Computer.

If still nogo, you need a new drive.

There must be something else wrong. Why would both computers not save on a CD. I rebooted, but I keep getting a message that the drive is unavailable. I just put in a CD with pictures on it and it opened up fine. Why won't it save text on a CD?

OK. That means the drive is reading the data only you cant write.

Let me know...

What is the OS on your computer?
Have you burned anything in the past using this drive.
What is the software that you use for burning?

I have never burned any CDs. My operatinng system is Window XP.
Are you sure this a CD-RW drive?

If yes
Put in a blank cd > click start > My computer and double click on the drive. Copy and paste the file to the blank cd. And then click on the option on the top right to write this on a cd.

How big is this file which you want to burn?

I still can't get it to work. I'll stop by Office Depot tomorrow and have someone look at it.

Thank you.

Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist

I would like you to check... something.. before you take the computer in..

could you look at your cd drive.. the front plate of it,..

on the cd drive.. do you see a RW ..?

or does it say rewritable?

It's a laptop computer. Yes, it does say rewriteable.

could you run a very easy fix it utility..?

all you have to do is click this link..

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

and click the green run now button..

please let me know what happens...
I received a message saying that the drive is not writeable.
well.. there are only a few tricks left up my sleeve..

try this.. though it may be that indeed. the drive cannot be written to..

but before we write it off..

Please press the windows key on your keyboard , hold it down, and press R

type in devmgmt.msc and press enter

then.. under the section that says cd dvd drives..

left click to expand it.

then.. right click and then left click uninstall on any cd drive you have..

then restart the computer..

and run this diagnostic again..

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX'm going to take it to Office Depot to let someone look at it. I've never been able to write on CDs on either one of my computers. (I have a desktop and a laptop).
Ok.. i just think if the diagnostic said it cannot write.. that we may want to go with that..

A very cheap external cd writer may do the trick.. and would probably cost less then the charge office depot would do to fix it..

i will include a link just in case..

this one would work well.. and is right under 15..

http://www.amazon.com /gp/product/B001PS5TFC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?ie=UTF8&cloe_id=7c004f95-707b-4a7e-b858-619f5c59f947&attrMsgId=LPWidget-A1&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002IEK3S&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1GR6PMQEX29EQGWWPJJS

either way.. good luck...