My monitor will not go into power save mode. I set it to go…

My monitor will not go...
My monitor will not go into power save mode. I set it to go into power save mode after 20 minutes of idleness, and it does not. Any suggestions?
6/29/2010
APARAJITA
APARAJITA, IT Specialist

This sounds as a graphics / video driver issue. Unplug the monitor from the AC power. Power off the PC. Plug the monitor back in and press the power button. Power up the PC. If the monitor does not come on with the PC, check the connections and your video drivers.

Thanks

If I unplug the monitor before powering off my PC I will then be shutting my PC down manually correct? I thought that was a no no.
Yes thats correct.
I would not even know how to check my video drivers. Sounds complicated. How do I do that?

Well when you purchased the system you might have got the driver disk along with the system. You need to put that disk in and then select to install the video drivers. If you have a graphics card then you can download the graphics card drivers from the internet.

Thanks

I have no disks for video drivers so I am assuming I have a graphics card. How do I go about this download?
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

Please tell me your computer brand and model and confirm that you have Windows XP, so I can look for the graphics card driver software for you.

Thanks,
-Viet
Computer is a dell Dimension 4700 with windows xp home edition.
Please download and install the following updated drivers software from Dell website (restart the computer each time it says so):

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility
Dell Dimension System BIOS

Then go to http://www.windowsupdate.com, and update all the high-priority, recommended and hardware items.

If there is still issue, then click here and click on Video. Then install each one (if it does not apply, then continue the next one).

Thanks,
-Viet
When I downloaded the chipset software I am asked to use an application to open it. None of my choices can open the file.
It is an executable file. All you have to do is downloaded and then run it (then it will extract the file to a location, then you go to that folder location, and run the Setup file). Please click here to try downloading from another location. Thanks.
Second location worked thanks. XXXXX now. Now none of my programs can open the BIOS download, can you send me to a different location to download again?
Here it is: BIOS.

Thanks,
-Viet
Thank you Viet. Hope it works.