hello, my gf has a hp G60 laptop and every time we try to connect…

Customer Question
hello, my gf has a...
hello, my gf has a hp G60 laptop and every time we try to connect to the internet using my netgear router, for some reason we cant connect to it. It always says local only connectivity. but when i use my dell i have no problem connecting to the internet. Can someone help me out? thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/29/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Peter, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Peter
Peter, Computer Support Specialist
Hello and thank you for choosing justanswer.com

First check the wireless password XXXXX you have one, ensure that it is correctly entered in to her laptop.

Second it might be an IP issue, on both machines do the following.

hold [windows key] press [R], release windows key.

type CMD <enter>

type ipconfig <enter>
see what the ip address is on both, if the first three sets xxx.xxx.xxx are the same, then this is not the issue, if they are different then on her laptop go to

Start > Control Panel > Network & Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Right Click on the wireless card, Properties > Double click IP V4, ensure that it is on Obtain Automatically, if it is, then you can do the same on your PC and see if there are any numbers typed in instead of Auto.

If there are numbers typed in on your copy them all exactly except the IP address (first box) Copy the first 3 sets and change the last one to a different number 1-254 (in that range)

Try this and let me know if it helps.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX her wednesday and i'll try that and i'll let you know. On the meantime i tried to see my ip address on my dell just like you said and i didn't see the three sets of numbers that you said, this is what i saw..
IPv6 Address....2001:0:4137:9e74:109c:5f7:3f57:fefc
Link-Local IPv6 Addres....fe80:109c:5f7:3f57:fefc%8.

also should DHCP be enabled, if so how can i do that?
thanks.
Ah ok, sorry scroll up on the CMD window you will see IP v 4 numbers, they are arranged in 4 sets. DHCP should be enabled on your router, it is different on each router, what kind of router do you use? Brand and model please.
ok yea my ip v 4 numbers look like this. 192.168.1.3
i have a netgear802.11g wireless router, model WGR614.
Also after i went to control panel, network and sharing center, how do i go to "change adapter settings" like you told me to so i could keep on following the steps you wrote me in the first message? thanks for all the help by the way.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
i need a reply to my latest message please. thanks.
Tech Support Specialist: hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist

Hello there,

Does your girlfriend have administrator rights on her computer?

When she connects to your network what IP address is she getting?

Has she activated the Wireless adapter on her laptop?

Thanks very much indeed for the great question!