I have a SONY laptop (VGN-CR490) and it is hot!!! Literally…

Customer Question
I have a SONY laptop...
I have a SONY laptop (VGN-CR490) and it is hot!!! Literally hot. The heat that it emits from the bottom is inordinately hot. Why please.
Thanks,

Robert Hara
Beaverton, Oregon
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/29/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Aaron B, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Aaron B
Aaron B, Computer Support Specialist

Make sure that air vents on left, back, and bottom of your laptop are not blocked. Also, check for dust blocking these vents. Check to see if your laptop fan is spinning.

If your laptop fan is not spinning, then your laptop will get hot and overheat. If your laptop overheats and shuts off without your cooler pad then blocked vents, dust, and or malfunctioning fan could be causing your problem.

Thanks,
The fan appears to be running by perhaps slowly. I will have to take it into the store for repair????

I suggest if your laptop is still under warranty to have it serviced instead of trying to perform any repairs yourself. I can lookup warranty information for your laptop if you don't know. You can post your serial number off your laptop.

Your fan should spin relatively fast. Also, if your laptop is no longer under warranty you could take it to a local computer repair shop and have them look at it. Some computer repair places will diagnose it for free.

Thanks,

Edited by Aaron B on 6/30/2010 at 12:21 AM EST
Thanks. Here is the S/N: (NNN) NNN-NNNNwith Service Tag: R5433217

I wasn't able to lookup your warranty status. Please go to this Sony repair and status web page. Enter your laptop model number, purchase date, and zip code.

Basically, Sony has a 1 year warranty on your laptop, if you bought it new. Obviously if it's been longer than a year, you will need to buy another warranty or have it serviced at a local computer shop.

You can call Sony support at VAIO® Computers: 1-888-476-6972 if you think your laptop is still covered by a warranty or to have them service your laptop. Also, you can get Sony product support via chat, email, and other phone numbers. You will need to enter your mode number.

Thanks,
There is an extended warranty until 03-01-2012. I will bring it to the store and they will send it out for me. Thanks much for your help! Oh, yes, one more thing that my daughter brought to my attention...it keeps coming up with a blue screen of death. I ran a System Mechanic Pro and RegCure on it. There were 21,192 items that had to be removed. Was that the cause do you think? I also ran System Mechanic Pro and deleted caches, temp files, and defragged the hard drive and the registry. What do you think, please.

Yes viruses, malware, adware, etc. can cause blue screens. You can try booting your computer into Windows safe mode last known configuration. Power on your computer and press your F8 key until an advanced options window opens.

Select "Last known configuration" from that menu. That might fix your blue screen. Also, you can boot your computer into Windows safe mode again.

This time select "Safe mode with networking". Open a command prompt Window by clicking your "Start" button and then selecting "Run". Type in cmd and a black command prompt window will open.

Type in chkdsk /r at prompt. Say yes when it asks to run check disk at next boot. Reboot your computer and check disk should check and repair any errors with Windows. Hopefully, that will fix your blue screen.

Also, you can download and run a scan with Malwarebytes. You want to be in Windows safe mode with networking when running a scan. Make sure to update malwarebytes database first.

Thanks,