My wife and I both have the exact same laptop (Acer Aspire…

My wife and I both...
My wife and I both have the exact same laptop (Acer Aspire 5315-2492) w/ Win XP.
Those two and the kid's HP PC all run on a wireless home network.
DSL internet via Cogeco using a CISCO LINKSYS. PC and my laptop never have any problems and pretty much run online 24/7. She turns hers off in the morning and watches movies late nights only, aside from emailing. We use Firefox. We all have AVG and Threatfire installed and running. Today she booted her Acer regularly and no longer has wireless access. It almost seems as if anything wireless internet related has simply vanished. Rebooting several times did not change anything. Attempting to (re-)connect to the existing and working home network failed. Attempting to set up a connection failed. Unable top check adapter, etc., because being prompted w/ "Ask your domain administrator." (?!) Never happened before. We do not have any Windows installation CDs, because both units came preinstalled. What can be done aside from ghosting the thing and starting from scratch?
6/29/2010
Erik B.
Erik B., Computer Support

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Most likely the wireless switch is off. On that unit the switch is above the keyboard to the left of the on/off button. It should have a picture of a satellite or antenna on it. Press that to turn the wireless card back on.

Let me know if that doesn't fix it or if you have trouble finding the button!

Found it, and in contrast to mine, hers does not show the orange light.
When pressing, a green message displays briefly "NO WIRELSS DEVICE".

Uh oh. Sounds like the wireless card may have failed. Can you do the following for me?

1. Click Start -> Run.
  2. Type devmgmt.msc and click OK.
  3. In the Device Manager, click the + next to Network Adapters.
  4. What is listed on your wife's ? What is listed on yours?
Done.
Interestingly enough, while I have Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter and Broadcom NetLink Fast Ethernet, she only has the broadcom. No Atheros on hers.

Yes definitely sounds like the card has failed. One thing you can try is powering off her system and then removing the battery and the power adapter. Let the unit sit for 2 minutes like that and then reinsert the battery and power it back on. See if the card comes back.

If it still doesn't come back, then you should check to see if the unit is still under warranty:

http://secure3.tx.acer.com/FindSystem/FindSystem.aspx?title=Information

and if it is then you will want to setup service with them:

http://secure2.tx.acer.com/FixMyAcer3/FixMyAcer.aspx

If it isn't then let me know and we can try to find an aftermarket replacement for the card.

Erik B.
Erik B., Computer Support
What you suggested did the trick somehow.
It did, however, take forever (aprox 15 mins) to boot after this complete shutdown.
Also, for some reason, the Windows Firewall had turned itself off...
Oh, well, it runs again and wifey is happy.
Good for now.
Thank you very much!

Good to keep the wife happy!

Glad we got you up and running and thanks very much for the accept!