I am using seamonkey for years. As a backup I always saved…

Customer Question
I am using seamonkey for...
I am using seamonkey for years. As a backup I always saved the Mozilla folder once a while. I also saved thousands of my mail within the program in different folders and subfolders. This mail also was organized in different profiles.
Now that my computer suddenly broke. I am trying to restore my mail as it was organized, using the mozilla folders that contained all these profiles, mail folders and subfolders.
How to do that, the shortest way and the more accurate way, using the same version of seamonkey? I am using or xp pro
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/29/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Arty, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Arty
Arty, Computer Support Specialist

Hi.

I'm also using SeaMonkey from time to time.

Here is a way to restore your previous configuration.

1) Install Seamonkey for all users

2) Run Seamonkey once, then close it

3) Remove everything from (backup it first): C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Mozilla\SeaMonkey

4) Copy old Seamonkey folder content there

5) Run seamonkey.

Now all profiles and content should be restored.

Regards

Arty

Edited by Arty on 6/29/2010 at 3:01 AM EST

Arty. Something is corrupted with this system

1. Two days that I was trying to find your answer in the system and only after 2 mail back and forth with Just answer that they finded for me.

2. Now that I have access. Twice I almost completed my reply to you answer that before the end. everything was deleted from it and had to write it all over. Whether is from my computer the problem or the system problem I woulden't know.

So I am sending mean while this answer until I will try another computer to complete my reply.

Moti

Hi.

I see your reply fine... That's sometimes happens even on my PC when I write here.

It's more robust to write a text document, then copy to clipboard, paste here and skip spellchecker.

I would like to ask - did you backup entire SeaMonkey folder with subfolders (one per profile with random name) or only content of that subfolders?

Regards,

Arty

Hi Arty
Following the (temporary) reply. (First to correct an error. I meant to say, It was about 20 mail and not 2 as stated above).
--------------------
Now to my question that was twice accidentally deleted.
Do you mean in your item # XXXXX of your answer above about (backing up) and removing the entire Document and setting folder, that in my computer contains about 60% of my entire 80 GB hard drive, (that by the way I was planning to replace these days with a just purchasedXXXXX, and now I am with only with about 15GB of free space.
Or you meant the removal of only the last folder of the tree, that is the seamonkey (or the Mozilla folder) that is under 2 GB in this case?

Arty

What happens that you don't reply to me> I waited so long. If I will not receive your answer today. I will post my question to someone else. Sorry, you started well.

I'm sorry, that was some kind of technical problem that I couldn't post there.

Last time I asked you about your backed up directory.

> Do you mean in your item # XXXXX of your answer above about (backing up) and removing the entire Document and setting folder, that in my computer contains about 60% of my entire 80 GB hard drive, (that by the way I was planning to replace these days with a just purchasedXXXXX, and now I am with only with about 15GB of free space.

NO. Don't remove it. And not entire 'Documents and Settings'

> Or you meant the removal of only the last folder of the tree, that is the seamonkey (or the Mozilla folder) that is under 2 GB in this case?

Yes. But it's better not to remove it, but to rename (say it was called SeaMokey, you may remane it to SeaMonkey.bak).

Also I assumed that you have some old copy of this folder, that you can restore. If so, just copy your old SeaMonkey folder instead of that just renamed.

Let me know if something is not clear.

Regards,
Arty
Hi Atty
Now that I replaced the drive and I just installed the seamonkey with the same version. 1.0.18. without yet creating profiles. Let me know the best way to go for in such condition. The problem is that from so many saved mozilla folders during the years. Many of them has some different details in the profile names. Such as Default. User default and so on, although I almost never selected these names that are confusing me to properly name the profiles in the new one. Also. The exact name of profiles. are not the detailed names of the email accounts. Wouldn't all these affects the result during the restoration/transfer? The more details in your instructions please may help and I will take care of you accordingly.