I am a small business owner and I just ran out of disk space…

Customer Question
I am a small business...
I am a small business owner and I just ran out of disk space on my Windows 2000 Server at my workplace. I would like to be able to go into my server to delete any unused files however, when I try to log into the server in F8 Safe Mode I received the following error: "Isass.exe - System Error. Directory services could not start because of the following error: there is not enough space on the disk. Error status: 0xc000007f. Please click ok the shutdown this system and reboot into Directory Services Restore Mode, check to even log for more detailed information."

I tried to reboot but it just gets tied up (even all night) and goes nowhere. I receive a "please wait. Preparing network connections."

How can I access my server in order to clear unwanted space?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/28/2010
Tech Support Specialist: David Kirk, Consultant replied 8 years ago
David Kirk
David Kirk, Consultant
Hi, thank you for your question.

When you reboot and press F8 before the Windows logo displays, do you see an option for Directory Services Restore mode? It should be near the bottom of the screen, I think you have to select it, press enter and then select it again when it displays in red below.

When you are able to get it to boot into Directory Services Restore mode, it will prompt you to enter the Directory Services Restore mode administrator account and password XXXXX was setup when the server was initially configured.

Let me know how this goes and where I can assist you further.

Thanks!
Is there a way to reset the password? The IT person(s) set up this system 7 years ago.
None of the ways I've found would work for your situation, I'm going to open this up to other experts, as I'm not sure what to have you try next.
Tech Support Specialist: J Tech, Computer Support replied 8 years ago
J Tech
J Tech, Computer Support
Hello, you can use an IDE\SATA to USB connector to solve your issue. Take the hard drive out of the computer and you can use the tool to connect the drive to any computer that has a usb slot. Once you have done this you can access the drive and delete the unwanted files and put the drive back into the server. You can purchase one of these online for under 10 dollars or at your local electronics shop.
My question is why would I need to use an IDE/SATA to USB connector if I am going to remove the hard drive from the server and install it into a usb slot in another computer. Wouldn't I just be able to delete files directly from the computer?
You had said the computer would not boot because the disk space was too low. If you could not boot the computer to remove files this would be an easy way to fix the issue. If you do not want to do this you can use a boot cd to delete files. It will run off of your cd rom instead of your hard drive. A good boot cd to use is hirens boot cd. You will need to be at another computer to download the file and burn it to a cd. Once you have made the cd boot your other system with the cd and use the mini xp option. You will boot into a mini version of xp and you will be able to use it to delete the unwanted files. You can download the boot cd here.