i need to change the parameters when MS word imports a data…

Customer Question
i need to change the...
i need to change the parameters when MS word imports a data source in the mail merge program... instead of using A1, A2, A3, A4, A5 ect.. as the header field with customers info in B1, B2, B3, / C1, C2, C3, / D1, D2, D3, ect..

I need A1 - A26 to be the header name field and colum B1-B26, C1 - C26 ect... to be the fields the customer info is filled into...
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/28/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Brandon M., Information Systems Manager replied 8 years ago
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Information Systems Manager
Chat Conversation Started
BeBoo :

Hi there. What version of Word do you have?

Customer:

2008

Customer:

do you understand my question?

Customer:

hello???

BeBoo :

Did you see my previous replies?

Customer:

yes that is what i meant... A1, B1, C1, D1, but i need the header feilds (name, address, phone, etc) to be in A1 - A26 and the information (john doe, 123 drive ln, 555.555.

Customer:

5555to be in B1- B26

BeBoo :

Word will not know they are headers if they are in A1-A26.

Customer:

I know... thus why I am looking for a way to change the parameters...

BeBoo :

Not sure that is possible. I'll opt out and allow another expert to take a look.

Tech Support Specialist: Christopher Bessler, Director of Computer Engineering replied 8 years ago
Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Director of Computer Engineering
Hello.

The simple answer is that you cannot.

The header parameters always assume the headers are going the other way. There is no way to change that. The only thing you could do is restructure the data file. In Excel, you can do this relatively quickly.

I am sorry!

I wish I had better information for you!

_______________________________________________________________________
Thank you for your question. If my answer helped at all, please accept. Positive feedback and/or a bonus is always greatly appreciated!
Im not sure this is correct... I tried to use a csv file as the data souce a couple times and it brought up a window asking for the deliniator fields to be set via tab comma, enter et... I just cant bring up this window when I import an excel file, it automatically sets them...
A CSV file is made to be imported in that manner.

Those delimiters are how Excel know to place the next piece of information into the next cell. As soon as it goes through the delimiting process it is in an Excel worksheet.

You would have to manually change the direction the data is going in the Excel spreadsheet in order to set it up for the mail merge properly.
ok, yes... but when I try and import the row deliniated csv, it does not bring up this dialog box asking for the parameters... very weird
You are trying to import a CSV into Excel?

CSV files are basically text only. They are rows of data separated into columns by commas or tabs.

If you create a CSV in Excel and then open it in Excel, you won't get the import tool. It will just open it.

Am I misunderstanding?
No you are right on, but it seems like there would be a way to manually change this instead of word automatically assuming the feild delimiters are by column.?.?.? or would this require programing?
I found macro programming code that SAYS it does it.
Public Sub ImportLongRowDelimitedFile()
Const sDELIM As String = ", "
Const nMAXLEN As Long = 32767
Dim sFileName As String
Dim sInput As String
Dim nFileNumber As Long
Dim nLen As Long
Dim nPos As Long
Dim nRow As Long
sFileName = CStr(Application.GetOpenFilename)
If sFileName <> "False" Then
nLen = Len(sDELIM)
nFileNumber = FreeFile
Open sFileName For Input Access Read _
Lock Read As #nFileNumber Len = nMAXLEN
Do While Not EOF(nFileNumber)
Line Input #nFileNumber, sInput
nRow = nRow + 1
nPos = InStr(1, sInput, sDELIM)
Do While nPos > 0
Cells(nRow, 1).Value = Trim(Left(sInput, nPos - 1))
sInput = Mid(sInput, nPos + nLen)
nRow = nRow + 1
nPos = InStr(1, sInput, sDELIM)
Loop
Cells(nRow, 1).Value = Trim(sInput)
Loop
Close #nFileNumber
End If
End Sub
ok what do i do with that?
You can also try something else:

Open the .txt file (or CSV) in Word (or your favorite text processor) and do a global search and replace. Replace all instances of ", " with a hard return ("^p" in Word). Save and import into Excel.

This might work for you, but all it really does is try to change it from rows to columns.

Unfortunately, there is simply no way to automatically import CSV's as rows instead of columns.

Christopher Bessler
That code is what you would use to program a macro.

If you have no experience programming, it won't be of much help to you.
so there are no options for this? could you program the macro?
I could program the macro, but I wouldn't have any way to get it to you.

Your best option is to work with someone in your local IT who is able to program Macros, and just give them the code.

That way it should only take a few minutes for them.
ok, thanks
OK.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.