when you try a full scan or quick scan it says try again and…

Customer Question
when you try a full...
when you try a full scan or quick scan it says try again and does not scan.the last full scan was in may and the next was scheduled for june 26 but never done.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/28/2010
Tech Support Specialist: James, Sr. Computer Support Expert replied 8 years ago
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Chat Conversation Started
James :

Is this McAfee?

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
where is my answer?
Hi, are you using McAfee?

i am not getting any feedback from you.whats up.

Are you using McAfee?
where is my answer.
yes mcafee is installed and the last full scan was may 27.it will not scan now.it says unexpected problem occured and to try again but the same thing hapopens.

Please download and install Malwarebytes from www.malwarebytes.org
Use the FREE version.

Run a full scan of your computer, remove the viruses it finds, and then your McAfee should work.

J.
I tried to install malewarebytes and run the program, but when I try to open it up, an error message pops up stating that windows cannot access the specified device path or file. It doesn't open and scan. In addition to that, i have tried to run the Disk Cleanup function and a scan using the "Adaware" program and both fail.
see above
Download rkill from: http://www.technibble.com/rkill-repair-tool-of-the-week/
Once you have it on the infected computer, run it. It will kill the virus process (but not remove it).

Run the Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware setup from the desktop.

Go with the default settings during the install. Important: Make sure you tell the software to automatically update itself (there’s a box you need to check during the install to make that happen). In addition, make sure you tell MBAM to automatically launch itself once the install and update processes are complete.

When Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware loads, go to the Scanner screen, select “Perform Quick Scan” and then click the “Scan” button.

Once Malwarebytes is done, the virus will be gone.

Thanks,

James.

It didn't work. When I tried to redownload malewarebytes and follow the directions posted above, it closed without scanning any files, even though I told it to scan. In addition to that, The RKILL program seemed to do the same thing. I opened it up, but after a few seconds, it closed without doing anything. After that, I tried to open McAfee, but it couldn't do any form of scanning. The same thing seems to happen with the RKILL, Malewarebytes, and Adaware programs.

Joe.

I am not sure how to proceed with this case, so I will forward the question back to the expert pool. As soon as another expert picks up the question, you will be notified.

Sorry I couldn't resolve your issue!

J.
Tech Support Specialist: Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer replied 8 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer

Hello. I would like to give Malwarebytes Antimalware another try.

First you will need to reboot your PC. As soon as your PC starts back up, when you see the PC splash screen, start tapping the F8 key with about a one second interval repeatedly until you see an options screen called Advanced Startup Options.

Select Safe Mode with Networking.

Allow Safe Mode to boot up and then agree work in safe mode.

From there, open Internet Explorer and go to http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php and download/install Malwarebytes Antimalware (the scanner is free).

After installing, run a full scan. All this process to complete. When the infections are found, be sure to highlight all infections and Remove them.

You will be prompted to reboot. Do so.

After the reboot, repeat the above process to re-enter Safe Mode with Networking.

Upon entering Safe Mode with Networking, run another Full Scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware.

If you get more errors/infections, I would Remove them and then repeat again (rebooting in Safe Mode with Networking) until there are no infections.

Once you have no infections in Safe Mode with Networking, reboot and allow Windows to boot normally. Once booted in normal mode, I would run one more Full Scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware. If you get infections, Remove them, reboot and Full Scan again. If you get no infections, allow the OS to start.

Update me on the results.

Unfortunately, when i try to run the Malewarebytes program, it doesn't seem to work, even in safe mode. However, there is another program, the Spyware Doctor that is highly rated that did scan and pick up some errors on the computer. The thing is though that it cost money to purchase and remove those errors. Do you think the problem would be solved if I were to purchase and use the program?
I am trying to find a free solution for you. I am not very high on Spyware Doctor, myself, that would be your call.

What is the error you get with Malwarebytes?
it does not work.it shuts down when i try to scan.
No error message? Or do it just "disappear"?