Hi, Ive been having problems with my Search Query on my

Customer Question
Hi, I've been having problems...
Hi, I've been having problems with my "Search Query" on my EMachines Computer. When I try to search something on "Run" it gives me a dialogue box that says, "Windows cannot acess the specified path, device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to acess the item." What can I do to get those permissions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/28/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited replied 8 years ago
Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
When did this happen?

Do you have reason to believe you may have gotten a virus?

What programs are you trying to run out of the search query?

Just a while ago.

I'm not sure. My firewall and virus protection is on, and I have a daily scanning that removes any threats.

I'm trying to run "Explorer", my Windows Live isn't working either & on their help page, it instructs me to do so.

Ok. What's the virus scanner you're currently using.

Also, I'd like you to try something. Go to start, control panel. Click user accounts. Add a new user, follow the wizard, make them an administrator. Name it whatever you like, such as test.

Afterwards, go to start, click the little triangle next to shutdown and go to log off. Log in with the new user and see if you're able to use the run command properly. I want to see if your primary account lost administrative rights. After doing this test let me know. Do NOT remove your primary account. To get back to it, you just need to log off and click it as there should be two accounts now (or more, if you had more)

"Security Master AV", "Norton Internet Security", & "Speedy PC". I'm paying monthly for all three.

And, I did your test... It worked.

How is that?

Security Master AV is a virus. It just pretends to be an antivirus.

That's why it worked.

Give me a moment, I need to write up how to clean it.
Alright, firstly, do NOT accept my answer until you're good to go and clean. I'll continue to assist you further on this if we are unsuccesful. Its not terribly hard to remove, just requires a few steps and can be a little time consuming. Follow this directions below and if you get stuck anywhere let me know. The reason you cannot run anything is AV has stripped your permission levels so you can't remove it.

I would like you to start in safe mode WITH networking. To do this, type the F8 key just after the initial splash screen of your computer turning on, but before ANY form of windows comes up. You'll be presented with advanced boot options, select Safe Mode with networking. If you don't see it you may have to go to more options.

Step 1: Go to control panel, click internet options. Click advanced, click restore advanced settings, then click underneath it reset (then reset again to start the reset process).

Step 2: Go to start/search. Type MSCONFIG, don't hit enter yet. Msconfig will appear above, right click, and go to run as Administrator. Go to startup. Click disable all (bottom right). Click ok. You do NOT need to reboot at this point.

Step 3: Open Internet Explorer and attempt to go to http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

Download it, install it, and run it. If it finds anything at the end (which I'm sure it will) be sure to click REMOVE SELECTED its on the bottom left. If you merely click next it won't do anything. It will ask you to reboot.

As I said before, don't accept my answer until we're finished. I run across this often with my clients out here, and we should be able to get it off cleanly without file loss.

When I press F8, nothing happens?

For safe mode. The second you reboot your machine, right after the initial splash screen, you need to hit F8 a few times until the window comes up. Don't hit it TOO much or you'll get a keyboard lock.

Basically when you reboot, depending on the model of your PC. You'll see like "Dell" or "Toshiba" "Or Sony" Then that screen will disappear to black for a second and you'll see Windows And the loading bar. You need to hit F8 before that. If you miss it, just reboot and try again

Everything is so BIG!

& Where are the Internet Options? I'm on Control Panel, but I can't find it.

In windows 7, you may have to switch (in the upper right) to smaller icons.

Also, you can try using the search box here, type Internet Options, hit enter. Also you can get to through Internet Explorer 8. Just above the address bar, go to tools, go to internet options. If you don't see tools, hit the ALT key once, and it should appear.
I need more help with step two, there's no "Disable All"
If you see the checkboxes, go ahead and just manually uncheck all of them.

This is under the "STARTUP" tab, after you run msconfig.

If you don't see checkboxes, you're likely in the wrong screen. Though there should be a disable all, its not the most important step. Let me know if this is not the case though.
Before running the malware bytes, I'd like you to try this program and see if it repairs the search query.

http://www.box.net/shared/qzy9ylb7mu

Malwarebytes is time consuming, this may be faster and specifically targeted at the AV.

See if your search results work after running this. If not, come back to safe mode and we'll continue with the malware bytes.
I have to leave for a little bit but I will absolutely check back soon, couple hours at most.

Hopefully you were able to get the virus off following my steps. Its possible it left damage to that user profile so the search results still may not work, but that can be fixed as well.

Let me know how it goes and I'll talk to you soon.

It completely made my computer go crazy.

I had to do an entire system reboot.

All of my files are erased.

My "Run" works now, but all of my files are gone. I have nothing.

It's like I have a brand new computer all over again.Yell

Did you click restore? Please advise.

No files should have been removed in this process. But I need to know what steps you took.

Only infected files should would have been removed. A system restore shouldn't have been needed. If you were unable to get back to the site after removal, please describe why. Though at this rate, I'm guessing if you did a system recovery its too late. If it is too late, I will request a refund for you (at your request) to give you back your deposit. If a system recovery was done, there won't be an infection.

Edited by jnayes on 6/29/2010 at 2:33 AM EST

I wasn't able to acess anything without doing a system recovery.

I had no internet access on any of my accounts.

When the system recovery was finished, everything went back to normal.

Except I had none of my files.

Like I had a brand new computer.

Ugh. My apologies. One thing that can cause that is a corrupt Norton installation (the no Internet Access). Which would have been corrupt due to the virus most likely as that one will disable Norton so it can still run freely. I apologize deeply, as I should have had you remove Norton before cleaning the virus. My intent when cleaning viruses is always to keep the file system intact which is why I didn't recommend a system restore.

I'll request a full refund for you, though I know it doesn't help with the files you lost. Best thing I can tell you is to get a virus scan that actually protects you (Norton does not). Avg/Avast/Kaspersky are infinitely better, and cheaper. Once again, I'm very sorry the steps we took caused more issues than resolved.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX refund me.

Now I'm having a billion more problems.

It may take a day or so, but a refund has been requested and you will receive it.

Also, please, in the future. A recovery disc provided by the maker of the machine, or a recovery partition, will ALWAYS delete all of your files. Its intended use is for a complete system failure, and it brings it back to "Like new" condition. They are the bane of my existance as there is never anything that can go so wrong that a system recovery needs to be used. A windows disc is more than suffecient to fix anything.

Once again, sorry it came down to a system wipe, a refund will be processed shortly.