I have an Acer Aspire One. I cant access the notebook because…

Customer Question
I have an Acer Aspire...
I have an Acer Aspire One. I cant access the notebook because there is no mouse cursor present. How do you restore the mouse?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Tech Support Specialist: DRobertson, Consultant / Technician replied 8 years ago
DRobertson
DRobertson, Consultant / Technician

Hi and thanks for writing us here at JustAnswer.com. Please know that to resolve your question may take some back and forth questions and answers. Help us to help you! We are here to help and will do our best to resolve your issue; we are not here to just make money. Also note that we do NOT work for any company and in no way represent them on their products and/or services.

Lets try a test and see if we have a mouse. This is just a test and will not be a fix, so let me know how this turns out, so I can formulate how to proceed more on this.

Restart or power up the system, if off, and just has soon as you see anything on the screen, start tapping rapidly, 4 or 5 times, the F8 key. Your going to think about just holding it down altogether, but this will cause an error, so please do not do so. Tap rapidly.

We are looking for a menu on the screen that says, "Windows Startup Menu". If you do make it there, then you will use the down arrow key and move down to "Safe Mode" and then tap Enter.

It will eventually get to asking a yes and no question about Safe Mode. Answer yes.

Now you will go to your desktop, or if you usually have to log in, then it will ask you to do so.

Does the mouse work?

(To get out of this special mode, shutdown and reboot, and it will go back to normal mode.)

Note also that not everything functions in this mode, and / or may look different. This is ok and normal.

No, the mouse still doesn't work. Nothing happened at all when I tried this. It just restarted and loaded up normally without the mouse

Ok, if you did not see "Safe Mode" in all four corners of the screen and everything seem "larger" then normal, you were not in Safe Mode. It can be a pain sometimes to catch the F8 before normal Windows kicks in.

Reboot and just has soon as anything comes up on the screen, tap two or three times on the F8.

Let me know how it goes.

No. Still normal boot up. There really is no response when I tap the F8 key.

Ok, thats ok, this was a test, but not the end of it all anyways.

Is this Windows XP, Vista, or 7?

I need to know this because I am going to have to give you key directions to be able to do items for me without a mouse.

This is Windows Vista

Ok, here is a general review of keys:

Enter will make something to happen.

You maybe able to use the arrows to move around from icon to icon in a window.

Tab will usually move you from one spot to the next.

if a menu item has an underline under a letter, then you can hold down the Ctrl key and tap that letter to make that item work.

The Space Bar will take checks in and out of boxes.

Ok, with that has a general guideline, lets try to do some things.

Lets tap on the Windows symbol key on the keyboard while in Windows. This should make the Windows menu open. Now look and see if you see the word Run. Use the tab key once. Now with the highlight on your User Name, use the "down" arrow key and move down until you see the highlight go around Run, then tap on Enter.

Now the Run box should come up.

Next, in the Run box, type MSCONFIG and tap on Enter. A window MAY come up asking for permission. If so, use the left arrow to move to OK and tap on Enter. Another new window will open.

Now look for a tab that says "Boot". What you will have to do is tab until you see the clear highlight go around the word on the tab, then tap on Enter. This should change it to that tab.

Now lets look and find the box that says "/safe boot". Use the tab and move the highlight until it highlights around that entry. Now tap on the Space Bar and a check should go in that box. Next tab until the highlight is around "Apply" and tap on Enter. Now tab until around "Ok" and tap Enter. if a box comes up about restarting tap on Enter and let it reboot.

This will now force the system to Safe Mode. We should have a mouse and we will work form there.

Let me know how this goes and we will proceed.

I'm sorry. It's Windows XP, not Vista. I apologize about the mix-up. Will these instructions still work?

I believe these will all work. The one exception, is that the tab will not say "Boot", but instead "boot.ini". Use that tab instead.

Let me know if you get stuck anywhere. I am here to help!

No. Still no mouse. It has added an Administrator icon for log-in. With no mouse I cannot get into the computer to troubleshoot.

Ok, thanks for the info.

Until we solve this issue, we will have to continue to use key sequences.

Remember to try and use those keys I gave reference to earlier when we do things. if you get stuck on something ask me and I will instruct about which keys to use and such.

First, do you have another mouse, even if temporary, that we can try from another system? If so, lets try it and see if we get a mouse. Be sure to let me know.

Next, and I have not looked for your system, but some, like mine, have an actual switch for the mouse (aka touchpad) to be on and off. If yours has one, make sure it is turned on. Let me know if you have one or not, and that you checked it to be on.

Next, use the tab key until it highlights your user - I know you have an administrator now, but use your user name - and then tap on Enter. This should take you to your desktop like normal.

This time hit the Windows key like before. Once it comes up, then use the up arrow key and move up to My Computer. Now use the Properties Window key. On your keyboard, this will be on the right, next to the right Alt key by the Space Bar. Tap on it. In the menu that comes up for My Computer, use the down arrow and move down to Properties and tap on Enter.

In the new window that opens, look for the tab that says Hardware. Now tab and use the left arrow key until Hardware is highlighted and tap on the Enter key.

Now tab once, to highlight the Device manager button and tap on Enter.

In this new window that opens, I want you to find an entry that says "Mice and other pointing devices". Press the Tab once and then use the down arrow key and move until this is highlighted. Now tap once on the Space Bar and the little plus sign (+) will turn to a minus (-) and the list should expand out. Let me know what entry is listed there for you.

Now use the down arrow and move down once to that mouse - if you have one. Now tap once on Enter and a new window should open.

Now tell me what it shows for the Device Status window.

Let me know and I will tell you what to do from there.

When I do this, it brings me to a black screen with the words "cmd.exe" in a box. That's all that has happened
I apologize, you've lost me. What part of the steps above got you to that?
highlighting and clicking on my user name took me directly to this screen.
Ok, then lets try Administrator user name and use it.
It has taken me to the same screen. The computer says safe mode in all 4 corners before this screen comes up.
Ok, lets try this, type in the command prompt box, exit, and then tap Enter. Tell me what happens then.
It is now at the black screen with safe mode in all four corners
Ok, do Ctrl + Alt + Del and it should give you a task manager window. Look for shut-down or reboot in the menu and use it. Tell me what happens when it reboots.
I see the shut down option but I cannot access it. How do I do this?
Ok, see if one of the letters in the wording is underlined. If so, then hold down the Ctrl key and tap the key that is underlined to activate the option.
Shut down doesn't have an underlined letter. Only End Task, Switch to, and New Task have underlined letters

Ok, for this time, just shut off the unit using the power button. Hold it in and after about a count of 5 it will turn off. Then power back on and see what happens. If you get back to the same user names logon, then choose your own.

Once you get to the command prompt, try to type in msconfig and tap Enter and see if that program come up for us.

I have done this. Back to the cmd.exe page. I have typed in msconfig and it tells me that it is not recognized as an internal or external command
Ok, we are making no headway. I will opt out and maybe it is getting too late and I am not thinking of something properly. I will open this to another Expert to help on this. Take care and God bless.
Thank you for trying. I appreciate it

I have been checking and see no one else has picked this up, so I do have other things I would like to try if you wish.

Restart the unit, and I want you to look for a key that will be on of the F keys at the top. It might be F10, F11, or F12, and will say something along the lines of System, Setup, Restore or Restoration. Press this key please.

Next, let me know if it looks like the screen below, and if not, what options does yours have?

graphic