Hello, I keep getting the 10-FA11-045D during the CRC

Customer Question
Hello, I keep getting...

I keep getting the 10-FA11-045D during the CRC file creation on the second Toshiba disk. The computer keeps getting hung up here. The only advise I've seen is to replace the hard drive and/or reseat the ram. Is there anything else I can do? Also, it takes about 12 hours for me to get to this point.

Thanks,
Chris
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/28/2010
Tech Support Specialist: DRobertson, Consultant / Technician replied 8 years ago
DRobertson
DRobertson, Consultant / Technician

Hi and thanks for writing us here at JustAnswer.com. Please know that to resolve your question may take some back and forth questions and answers. Help us to help you! We are here to help and will do our best to resolve your issue; we are not here to just make money. Also note that we do NOT work for any company and in no way represent them on their products and/or services.

The CRC stands for Cycle Redundancy Check. It is an error checking process on the had drive, where a piece of code is written to the hard drive and then read back. If the two codes do not match, then the PC knows there has been an error on the hard drive.

For the most part, with each and every time I have dealt with this issue on system, the hard drive was shot. This is usually because it is not so much an area of the hard drive is bad. If this was the case, then the system should mark those areas bad, and then be fully functional otherwise, but since it is locking the system up, then it is the hard drive head itself going bad. No data will be read or written either way to the hard drive. Since the PC never gets any CRCs back correctly, then it sends this issue. There is no code for head failure for the PC.

There are various diagnostics on the market that maybe able to get the hard drive to be functional either partially or even fully, but this will be for a short time. The drive will go down again, and at some point will not ever work again.

Below is a link to arguably one of the leading industry providers of hard drive diagnostics for issues like this:

http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

The only thing else you can do, that will not cost any additional money is boot to a Vista CD and get a command prompt from the CD, then you can run a chkdsk on the hard drive.

If you go this route, let me know and I will give you the whole chkdsk line to use on the drive.

I hope this info helps some and please feel free to ask anything at all on this. I am always happy to help! God bless!