My wifes PC is a Dell Optiplex GX280 running Windows XP Pro.

Customer Question
My wife's PC is a...
My wife's PC is a Dell Optiplex GX280 running Windows XP Pro. I need to recover a system backup that is on an external hard drive. When booting up, with a CD in the CD reader, I get a keyboard failure. Then it tells me to 'hit any key to boot from a CD'. The keyboard does not function at that time. Once the PC is booted up in Windows, the keyboard start working. But of course this is too late. How can I boot up from the CD when the keyboard does not work?

Rod [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/28/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Sandy, Computer Specialist replied 8 years ago
Sandy
Sandy, Computer Specialist
Hello My Friend,

Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Microsoft- Certified Technician who will assist you today. I understand how important this is for you. I will put in my best effort to help you out. This process might require multiple contacts from both sides.

You would definitely be able to boot from the CD. I will let you know about it. But, before that I want to ask that how you recover your data from external hard drive by booting using operating system disk. The reason I am asking is that I do not want to lose your data or commit any mistake without knowing about it properly.

Also, if you click Start, My computer, please tell me if you see external hard drive icon or not.
Years ago I purchased Disk Image 7 (since bought by Semantics). At least once per month I use Disk Image 7 to make a backup copy of my hard drive to an external hard drive. I can do this using Windows. If I start having issues with the computer I put the Disk Image 7 CD in the CD reader and boot up using the CD. That allows me to restore my computer to what it was prior to having issues. I have a Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite and a Logitech Marble mouse.

I have the same setup on my Dell Dimension 2400 (my PC) and I have no issues with booting up from a CD.

The thing that started this is all of a sudden both PC got where we could not get to Comcast.Net. I could go to other Web sites but not to Comcast.net and that is where my wife's email is. I did a system restore on the Dell Dimension 2400 and can now get to Comcast.net. That is the PC that I am on now. When I tried to do a restore on the Optiplex GX280 I get the Keyboard Failure message and can't get past it.

When I turn on my Iomega External Hard Drive, on either machine, and look for the External Hard Drive in My Computer I can see it. I can click on it and view the files on that drive.

I also have a company Dell laptop. I can use it and have no problems getting to Comcast.net.

Thank you so much for the detailed information, Rod.

Sometimes, there is an internal static which creates some issues and does not allow to boot from the cd as the keyboard does not work. Please follow the steps given below:

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Disconnect the power cable from the wall outlet.
3. Now, hold down the Power button the for 30 seconds.
4 Now, connect the power cable back in.
5. Restart the computer.
6. Once you see, press any key to boot from the CD,. then press any key on the keyboard.

I hope this should work. However, if this does not work, please do let me know, I will provide you other step.

If get some help, please hit Accept as this is how I Earn my Living and get paid for my Time, work. Please leave positive feedback if the issue is fixed, if not ask me again instead of leaving negative feedback. Bonus would be highly appreciated.
I did it twice. It still gives the message 'Keyboard Failure' and this time it does not even give the message to 'Hit any key to boot from a CD'. It just boots up in Windows.

One thing: It did say hit F2 or F12 keys before giving the keyboard failure message. I tried hitting F12 and nothing happened. Then it gave the Keyboard Failure message.
Shut down the computer.
As soon as you restart, please start hitting F2 immediately. You will enter into the Bios. Now, on the keyboard, Turn on the CAPS LOCK, SCROLL LOCK, NUMS LOCK. NOw, HIt ALT+F, ALT+K, ALT+L, Ctrl+F, Ctrl+K, Ctrl+L keys together. Now, Go the last Tab(by using Up and Down, Left, right arrow keys)(Like Maintenance) on the Bios and choose any option which is similar to that of "Restore to defalts' and hit Enter. Now, hit F10 key once. Save and exit if it asks for. Please tell me the result of it. Thanks.

If get some help, please hit Accept as this is how I Earn my Living and get paid for my Time, work.
No luck. So I unhooked the Microsoft keyboard and hucked up a generic Dell keyboard. I tried again. Still no luck. I started hitting F2 as fast as I could and kept doing so until Windows started. I also got the 'Keyboard Failure' message and no message about booting up using a CD.
1. Shut down the computer.
2. As soon as you see Dell Logo, then start hitting(up and down) F2 and go to Boot sequence and make CD/ROM as the first boot device. save and exit. Please tell me the result.
Did not work. The keyboard does not start working until Windows boots up. So nothing I do before that, using the keyboard, does anything. 'Keyboard Failure' takes over and stops any keyboard entries.

That is it for today. I am logging off and leaving the PCs. I may work on it again tomorrow but not today.

Thanks for all the advice. I am sorry that we could not get it working.

NO issues, please give me some more times. Let me tell you all of the possible and best solutions.

Is this keyboard wired or wireless? If wireless, please use the wired keyboard.