Cant find option to switch to HDMI for sound playback on my…

Customer Question
Cant find option to switch...
Cant find option to switch to HDMI for sound playback on my dell studio 17, checked everywhere!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Tech Support Specialist: DRobertson, Consultant / Technician replied 8 years ago
DRobertson
DRobertson, Consultant / Technician

Hi and thanks for writing us here at JustAnswer.com. Please know that to resolve your question may take some back and forth questions and answers. Help us to help you! We are here to help and will do our best to resolve your issue; we are not here to just make money. Also note that we do NOT work for any company and in no way represent them on their products and/or services.

Let me ask, are you not getting sound otherwise when connected thru the HDMI?

I get sound thru my speakers when they are enabled but i cant find te option to switch to HDMI as a default after I connect laptop to TV via HDMI

The reason I ask is that HDMI in of itself should carry the sound to the device, so that when connected, you should have sound thru the TV.

Are you getting sound thru the TV at all?

thats what i thought but have heard that you may have to switch or select it through the sound options ie playback devices for the sound to go thru. the tv sound itself is fine & the video is transmitted well thru hdmi only sound continues to play from laptop speakers while connected via hdmi & not the tv speakers as expected

Go to Control Panel and then the Hardware and Sound and open it. Now find Sound and then the link under it called "Manage Audio Devices" and open it.

Tell me what items you have under playback devices?

I've been there many times< there now... two devices show up
both speakers (2-High Definition Audio Devices) one default & the other not plugged in...when my hdmi was connected, i don't see any other playback options

Ok, I figured you had, but I wanted to just see what it was actually listing there.

I will opt out and maybe another Expert can help better on this.

Tech Support Specialist: Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited replied 8 years ago
Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Have you looked in your display properties for your video card. Video card drivers and settings are just as important as the sound options for HDMI playback.

If you right click on the desktop and go to Personalize, you should see the option to "Connect to projector"

If you don't see any options in the video display for HDMI, please respond with your dell service tag (on the bottom) so I can get the exact specs of your system and have a better visual of what we're working with.
no "connect to projector" on personalization tab in my windows 7
Are you running Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit?

To determine this, click start, in the search box type dxdiag, hit enter. On the first screen that comes up it will tell you if its 64-bit next to Operating System

I need the service tag on the bottom as well please, this is important.
hello, i lost internet connection the last time we corresponded, can we continue where we left off with the issue that continues to linger?
I have a 64 bit OS
Service tag: 8FGQYH1
Don't accept this as my answer unless it works, I'll continue to help as much as I can till we got this goin.

I would try updating your video card drivers. What SHOULD happen is the second you plug a TV in (and I would give it a reboot), on the bottom right it should offer you the options to select HDMI source in the bar near the clock on your desktop.

Select Windows 7, 64-bit

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=8FGQYH1&SystemID=studio1737&os=WV64&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Then its all the way at the bottom.

If you want an even more up to date driver.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/notebook/graphics/ati-mobility-hd-4000/hd-4500/Pages/hd-4500.aspx

Click drivers. I'm having issues at this place loading the support page (probably on my end). Make sure to get the 64-bit if given the options. The video card you have is a 4500 mobility. Give that a shot.
I had updated all drivers previously before addressing the query to just answer.com
So you have the catalyst control center installed?
Just all the drivers from Dell & windows..nothing from ATI..shall i go ahead & instal that w/o fear of any conflict or adverse interactions with current drivers?
Shouldn't cause any problems. Worst case scenario you can rollback.

Ideally, the cat control center should open up a ton more options to play with. Should any problems occur, you can just let me know here. Its not going to trash your card or anything. Dell's drivers are slimmed down for their video cards. Most likely to avoid more problems with their laptops. I still can't seem to get their support site to load which is kind of sad since they're the #2 video card maker in the world.

But like I said, it could be the facility I'm at right now. If you get stuck anywhere downloading the drivers or have any questions/concerns further, just let me know. I'll be around for a bit
as far as display adapter devices on my pc, ive got the mobile intel 4 series express chipset & it is fully updated
Odd, your service tag pulled up the ATI radeon.

Give me a minute I'll see what else we can look for. I've ran across this problem a few times with Windows 7. Especially if you did an upgrade to 7 (did you?)
an upgrade was done for me by the seller (from vista to 7 ultimate) prior to shipping it out to me.
Actually under sound options. You should see something besides Hidef. You should see Digital audio output (HDMI), if I recall correctly. Even when its not plugged in (it'll just show disabled).

So the problem here is still the drivers likely.

Let's confirm a few things though. I've made the assumption that you're getting video to the tv, but sound is coming out of your laptop. Is this correct?

Has it ever worked before, or is this the first time you're trying to get it up and running?
in checking playback devices i only see 2 options: speakers/headphones and Independent(R.T.C.) Headphones...first time trying to connect laptop to tv (where laptop speakers play sound only & not tv speakers)
Check under Audio Devices, not playback devices.

Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/ Sound then click manage audio devices. You're looking for HDMI in there. If you don't see it then somethings wrong.

Edited by jnayes on 7/8/2010 at 8:11 PM EST
manage audio devices brings me to the same window as playback devices which itself has the same info, any other way to check for hdmi device?
Should be listed in there.

In your control panel, do you have scratch that. Its not a realtek. And the only drivers you'll find are Dell ones for it. Anything in the control panel?

There has to be something in the advanced settings under the sound control that should list the actual sound card though, not just the speakers.

I'm going to look for the audio drivers suite package, I don't think its the video anymore since you don't have that hdmi portion even listed.

Edited by jnayes on 7/8/2010 at 8:38 PM EST
in the list of device manager, i found 2 units under "sound, video, and game controller" one of which is Intel High Definiteion Audion HDMI
According to the properties, the high def audio hdmi is is working properly & has been updated to best driver...but why dont i see it listed under playback device which is what others use to switch to after connected to tv via hdmi..unless there's another way to select this audio as a default after im connected other than playback device?
recall that i initially started my query with the first message "Cant find option to switch to HDMI for sound playback on my dell studio 17, checked everywhere" which is where i still am>>>
Alright I got bead on this. You're not alone on this one either, specific to dell studio's.

We need to get that HDMI listed in the audio properties.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2991&DwnldID=19132⟨=eng

Download and install this.

Reboot. See if anything new is listed in the audio tab. This is what the resolution to people with the same chipset had issues with. It ended up still being the video drivers but Dell didn't have an updated one for that chipset.

Edited by jnayes on 7/8/2010 at 8:55 PM EST
hmmm, this media accelerator seems like something i have already dl'd & installed but i'll give it another shot to see what happens..
Well all I know is the chipset one at the Dell site is older. This one is newer. So we're still stuck to finding the newest updated drivers. There's a ton of laptops, sony's especially that would work just fine in Vista. But not in Windows 7.
ok< gonna reboot & tell u what happens soon
Sounds good. Just let me know. Crossing my fingers for you, so many people with this problem, so many supposed "solutions"
ok..rebooted but wont know for sure if sound will transfer to the tv i connect to till i actually do it (at work now)>> what can i do in the meantime to check to see if the update i installed did anything?
You'll have to go into the audio propeties again and look for a new device there. Basically we're still looking for HDMI device.

Its installed, yes, because device manager says so. But the option to use it is still disabled or not present. So the chipset/video driver that I sent you to should open up that option, according to what I've found.

It'll be under the manage audio devices. I'd recommend rebooting with the TV hooked up to the laptop, then look for the option in the spot you have been looking. If you see that new option it should work at this point. If not, we'll have to wait till you get home.
right now everything appears just as it did prior to this new install whereby i can see hdmi listed under device manager>sounds but not under playback devices
I'm not sure how to continue then at this point. It needs to be under playback devices.

You may actually have to uninstall the sound card and video card from inside device manager and manually reinstall them again with the updated links I gave you. But until the proper device appears under audio devices in regards XXXXX XXXXX its not going to pass sound. I can opt out if you'd like another expert to take a stab at this.