Vista - files I have removed (folder deleted) still show up…

Vista - files I have...
Vista - files I have removed (folder deleted) still show up in the search function. I cant do anything with them, they aren't there, but still keep turning up. Why?
6/28/2010
Joseph
Joseph, Computer Software Engineer
This will happen if you just delete the Folders not pressing Shift + Del.

I want you to Right click the Recycle bin on your desktop and click "Empty recycle bin".

If you are not pressing Shift + Del the items will be deleted only temporarily.

Hi Joseph,
I should give you more info.
These .mpg files were sourced through P2P Limewire. I Have, in this order,
-Uninstalled limewire
-Removed associated folders (eg "Incomplete" C:\Users\.....\Limewire) as uninstall did not remove these paths.
-Emptied the recycle bin.

However, the files still show in the search function, and when I r/click and "open location on disk" or "rename" or "delete" a msg box appears with "the folder does not exist. The file may have been moved or deleted. Do you want to create it?"

How to Uninstall Limewire Using Windows’ Add/Remove Feature

The Add and Remove Programs function of Windows is one way that Limewire can be uninstalled or removed from your computer. Go to the Start menu, then choose the Control Panel option. Click Add or Remove Programs. Once the installed programs list appears, look through the programs and chooseLimewire and then click on the Change/Remove option to start the removal process. Instructions will appear leading through the removal process step by step, until the program is deleted. Once Limewire is removed from the system, restart your PC to complete the process.

Uninstall limewire

Even after you uninstall Limewire this way, there might be some files left on your PC. Check the Program Files folder in your system drive to see if there is a folder called Limewire. An example of this folder’s contents is shown below:

Delete limewire program files manually

Simply select the folder in the Windows Explorer and press Shift+Delete to remove it permanently.

Why Limewire May Not Be Showing on the Windows Programs List

Older versions of Limewire did not create an entry in the Add or Remove Programs list because these versions operated independently. The removal of these Limewire versions requires a little more work.

Go to the Start menu and choose the search option. Type LimeWire and then choose the option All or part of the file name. Hit the Search button. Select all the results that appear, right-click them and then choose Delete to permanently remove them.

How to Delete the Limewire Folder from Your System

Open up the Limewire folder on the system, and then open up the folder named Uninstaller Data. Now look for a file which has the word uninstall included in the name, such as Uninstall LimeWire. Double-click on the found file. This will start the uninstall program. Instructions displayed on the screen will walk you through the process of removing Limewire from your system.

How to Uninstall Limewire Using Perfect Uninstaller

1. Download Perfect Uninstaller and install it on your PC.
  2. Open Perfect Uninstaller; it will present a list of applications installed on your PC.
  3. Locate and select Limewire and then click Uninstall. Perfect Uninstaller will completely remove Limewire and all its related components scattered throughout your PC (including entries in the Windows registry).

How to Uninstall Limeshop (i.e., Limewire Adware)

Limeshop is an adware program downloaded and installed along with Limewire. Removing Limewire does not remove Limeshop from the system, and this program may or may not show up in the Add or Remove Programs list. If it does then use this program to remove Limeshop.

If Limeshop doesn’t show in the program list, make sure that Limewire is closed. Open Windows Explorer and go to the file named Program Files. Find and right-click on the file named Limeshop, and then choose the Delete option. Click Yes to confirm the deletion.

How to Delete Other Adware Programs Associated With Limewire

Limewire is bundled with several adware programs, and a quality anti spyware program and anti virus program is needed to remove and delete many of these malware infections. These protective programs scan and identify malware infections that are on the system, possibly causing problems and creating havoc. A scan should be run using these tools daily, to protect your computer and keep it running efficiently.

1) Limewire does not appear on the Add/Remove programs menu.

2) Limewire folder is not in program files (or anywhere else).

3) Start/Search for Limewire and/or Limeshop does not reveal either - only the .mpg files that I have deleted - original problem.

4) Downloaded Perfect Uninstaller - Does not show Limewire/Limeshop. Asked it to remove a google toolbar to see if it wanted money for doing so - surprise!

5) Am running AVG 9.0 updated daily, does not reveal any anomalies.

Would like help if you can provide,

Ta, Trevor

Rebuilding the Search Index in Windows Vista

Rebuilding the index can take a long time to complete, depending upon the number of files and available resources in the system. Follow these steps to rebuild the Search Index in Windows Vista:

1. Click Start, type Indexing Options. Press ENTER

2. In the Indexing Options window, click Advanced

3. When the User Account Control prompt appears, click Continue

4. To rebuild the Search index, click the Rebuild button

5. Click OK when you see the following message:

This operation will completely re-build the indexed locations on your computer and might resolve problems if your search results often appear to be out of date. This operation might take a long time.

6. Click OK

Alternately, you can access the Indexing Options via Control Panel, or by running the following from Start, Search box:

Joseph
Joseph, Computer Software Engineer
Molinari
Molinari, Computer Support Specialist

1. Click on the Indexing Options icon. (In the Control Panel Classic View)

2. Click on the Advanced button. (See screenshot in OPTION ONE below step 3)

3. Go to the Index Location section. (See screenshot below step 5)

4. Click on the Rebuild button. (See screenshot above)
NOTE: Rebuilding the Index will get rid of search results that still show files you deleted by making a new index list. Think of it has the ultimate Update button.

5. Click on OK to apply.

settings.jpg

Edited by Molinari on 6/28/2010 at 11:31 AM EST
Let me know what happens after reindexing.
As a side note, Limewire was a red herring and had nothing to do with the indexing.
You may also want to just turn off the auto index feature and let it search realtime, it's slower but much more accurate.

Aha.
Rebuilding the index was the solution. Problem solved. Thankyou boys.
Presume whoevers' answer I accept gets the $22, but you both answered correctly in the end and Joseph's reply came in two minutes earlier, so I guess it's yours Joseph.
Thankyou for your help Molinari. I will leave positve feedback for you both.

Trevor