my HP wont boot up at all. I have win xp Pro installed, but…

Customer Question
my HP won't boot up...
my HP won't boot up at all. I have win xp Pro installed, but it says there is no OS on the machine. Also, I do not have a CD or other drive for this 'docking' machine. That part is somewhere else.

Can you help me boot the system from DOS?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/28/2010
Tech Support Specialist: tbwhite2040, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
tbwhite2040
tbwhite2040, Computer Support Specialist

If the hard drive is saying no operating system, it could be possible that the hard drive has gone bad. If the computer can't see the Operating System, then the only way you might be able to see any information is to use a USB Docking Station which should be compatible to your hard drive.

While booting up the computer, press the F8 button repeatedly until you see the Advanced Boot Options. Click on Restore to run a system restore. If you can't get into advanced boot options, then at bootup keep tapping the F11 key to see if you can run a system recovery but this will wipe out everything on the hard drive.

I don't have the docking station, it will get here in a few weeks.

In the meantime, I did the f8 button and ran the restore option. What I get is a series of lines of code that say:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\BATIC.SYS
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\pciide.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\intelide.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\cmdide.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\pcmcia.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\MontMgr.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\ftdisk.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\ACPIEC.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\OPRGHDLR.SYS
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\PartMgr.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\VolSnap.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\disk.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\filtMgr.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\sr.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\KSecDD.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\Ntfs.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\NDIS.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\pr1_pv32.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\Mup.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\avgrkx86.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\AVGIDSxx.sys

I get this same series of code when I try to run in safe mode too. Is there anything else I can do before resorting to F11? The whole point of saving this computer is to get at a program that it has on it.

This same problem (not finding the Operating System) is happening on the Parallels side of my Mac - after I installed the exact same OS as a Virtual Machine. This leads me to believe that there is a problem with some files or something like that, and that it is not a problem with a bad hard drive.

The issues only started after the hard drive was removed and then re-installed.

Is there anything else I can try now?
thanks ;-)
Aura
Did you have AVG Anti-virus installed on your computer before it crashed?
yes, is this the problem?
How do I fix it?

Apparently AVG corrupted the registry and this is causing the problem. Some viruses can get past protection and disabling it so other forms of Trojans and viruses can get though to do its damage.

Can you get to Safe Mode with Command Prompt?

yes. but i get a similar set of codes

You will get the codes first but let it sit for about two to three minutes to see if it will boot up to your command prompt.

If it doesn't come up to the command prompt you will need to use your Windows XP disc to repair your computer. If you need help repairing your computer with the Windows XP disc I will give you the steps

ok, its been sitting, but no boot-up.

i have probs with the next part of the plan;

a) this is a docking pc (hp omnibook 510) - so i wont have the cd drive here for a few more weeks.
b) i dont have an xp pro start up disk.

There r 2 other pc's here, one running xp home (the other has Vista) - can i use it's start up cd?
Is there a way to connect the hp to the other computer and use it to start up?
OR, can I start from a thumb drive? I tried researching this last night, but couldn't figure it out.

You should be able to use the Windows XP Home edition to start the repair.

Put the disc into the CdRom drive and boot the computer and make sure that Boot to Cdrom is set as your first boot device in the BIOS. When the screen asks to boot from cdrom hit the Enter key. It should start loading the generic drivers and files. Once finished loading the drivers and boot configuration, Hit the first option asking if you wish to install Windows XP. Then hit F8 for the EULA agreement. At the next screen choose the R for Repair and hit Enter. This should do a repair on your current drive.

(Note: Running the repair will remove and delete all windows updates and service packs that were downloaded and not part of Windows XP )

how do i connect the hp - which has no drive - to the desktop drive in order to run the start up disk?

or, can this be done from a thumb drive?

I thought you had a Windows XP disc itself. You will not be able to hook two computers up together because they are two different brands and not identical.

If you had a hard drive docking station to place the hard drive that came out of your HP into, you might be able to connect it to another computer via USB cable and see the contents of the drive and also reinstall the operating system on the docked hard drive.

I won't even be able to try it with the dock for two weeks when it gets here.

In the meantime, can it be done off of a jump drive? I tried to research that, but couldn't figure it out.

I have heard of people using a jump drive to install the operating system but I have never had any luck with it. The Jump drive will have to be big enough to hold the entire contents of the Windows XP disk and you will have to enable Boot from USB in the BIOS and set it to boot from USB first.

The problem I have seen with doing it this way is the USB drivers needed to use the USB jump drive. Here is a link that will help you install Windows XP from the jump drive.

http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/11/installing-windows-xp-from-usb-thumb.html

If I do this and install the home version of XP on my dead computer, will I lose all of my saved info and programs?

Or should I take the computer to a computer store and tell them what you've told me in hpes of saving the info?
thanks

If your computer is telling you that no Operating System is installed. more than likely the data is already missing including your saved data. Now if it is telling you no hard drive is installed, it is possible to retrieve your data using a docking station for your hard drive.

It is your call whether or not you want to see if a computer store might be able to help you get your saved data back, however, it could be very costly and may not work anyway.