Hi I just took my granddaughters Dell laptop w windows Vista…

Customer Question
Hi I just took my granddaughter's...
Hi
I just took my granddaughter's Dell laptop w windows Vista out of the closet where it's been for about a year as she has been living w/relatives for the year. The Norton antivirus had expired. i was getting ready to download a free 90-day trial of Norton but was slow, I guess, because I believe a virus must have got on there in the interim b/c now it says WINDOWS EXPLORER HAS STOPPED WORKING" and that was after i had the internet working and also kept getting some silly error message about formatting the disk in the G drive, but there are no disks in there.

Is there any hope w/o spending more money on an IT person to de-virus it?

Thanks for your time.
Val

I honestly don't want to spend money on it as i already had to on a password-busting program and forgot her password.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer replied 8 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer.

First you will need to reboot your PC. As soon as your PC starts back up, when you see the PC splash screen, start tapping the F8 key with about a one second interval repeatedly until you see an options screen called Advanced Startup Options.

Select Safe Mode with Networking.

Allow Safe Mode to boot up and then agree work in safe mode.

From there, open Internet Explorer and go to http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php and download/install Malwarebytes Antimalware (the scanner is free).

After installing, run a full scan. All this process to complete. When the infections are found, be sure to highlight all infections and Remove them.

You will be prompted to reboot. Do so.

After the reboot, repeat the above process to re-enter Safe Mode with Networking.

Upon entering Safe Mode with Networking, run another Full Scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware.

If you get more errors/infections, I would Remove them and then repeat again (rebooting in Safe Mode with Networking) until there are no infections.

Once you have no infections in Safe Mode with Networking, reboot and allow Windows to boot normally. Once booted in normal mode, I would run one more Full Scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware. If you get infections, Remove them, reboot and Full Scan again. If you get no infections, allow the OS to start and then tell me if the malware is gone.

Thanks.

Hi

If I could open Internet Explorer in Safe Mode, I would have done that and downloaded the malware program. i already know about that.

My whole probelm is that safe mode doesn't help because it doesn't ask me to agree to work in safe mode. the screen is just black except for the letters that say Safe Mode. i can't get past point A.

If you cannot access your PC in safe mode, you will need to either restore your PC to factory settings (via restore partition or disc) or use a Windows Vista/7 retail disc to install Windows from scratch.

Either one of these cases will remove all information on the laptop.

If your PC fails at Safe Mode, this is your only option.

Feel free to ask any questions. I am here to assist you.
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer

hi again,

i thought i'd let you know that i tried it again in safe mode in networking and somehow managed, by clicking on things in the offline microsoft help screen found something called file forum which got me to the malwarebyte download. i did the scan and then rebooted and lost the online status (if i ever had it, tho it looked like i did). so am now running the second scan in safe mode/networking and will continue to follow your instructions until (i hope) it finally is okay.

thanks for your detailed explanation. i'll give it my best shot.

take care.

val

Good luck. If you need more assistance, reply to this thread. I will be here to assist you.