test 1

Customer Question
- I just bought a...
test 1 - I just bought a new compaq computer with Windows 7.  I loaded Microsoft Office 2000.  I can receive emails ok but when I try to enter an address into the contacts file or try to send and email from "Microsoft Office" (not Outlook Express) I get an error message that says WAB DLL.  A Google search shows that Outlook is not compatible with Vista and shows how to fix it but there are no references to the combination of Windows 7 and Outlook 200.  I need a download that solves my problem.  Can you help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/28/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Adam Mohr, Computer Tech/System Admin replied 8 years ago
Adam Mohr
Adam Mohr, Computer Tech/System Admin
Hello There Sir or Madam!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you today.

To answer your question, Outlook 2000 is not compatible with Windows 7. You will need to upgrade to at least Office 2007 (office 2003 would work but the licenses would probably be pretty pricey)

The cheapest would be an upgrade license of Office 2007 Standard. Below is one link to amazon for this.
Office 2007 Standard (comes with word, excel, powerpoint, outlook) $199.99
Office 2007 Professional (comes with the above plus access and publisher)$199.99
Note: these versions of office 2007 are upgrade licenses, so if you had to replace the harddrive on your computer, you would have to first install office 2000 before installing the upgrade to 2007 as the CD's look for a previous version already installed.

But your best bet with the least amount of headaches would be to get the new Office Home and Business 2010 ($279.99)

If you need any more help, let me know!
I already told you that Outlook 2000 was not compatible with later versions like Vista but could be fixed with a download from Microsoft. Thus Outlook 2000 is also not compatible with Windows 7 and I needed a download to make it compatible so your answer is not satisfactory. I already have bought Outlook 2010 "Home and Student" for $99 from Office Depot (when I also bought the new computer) but was going to return it if I could make Office 2000 work properly. I have no need to pay $279 for Office 2007. I still do not have my problem solved so I cannot accept your answer and I will have to try some other way to get my problem solved - thanks
Hello again,

Here is some more information I found in regards XXXXX XXXXX issue. I hope this helps answer your question!

The following versions of Outlook are fully supported on Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit);

• Outlook 2003
  • Outlook 2007
  • Outlook 2010
    (the 64-bit version of Outlook 2010 also requires the 64-bit version of Windows 7)

It is recommended to always fully update your version of Outlook directly after installing to take care of any incompatibility issues that have been fixed.

Previous versions
Any other version of Outlook is not supported on Windows 7. Although you could install it, any compatibility issue will not get fixed. For instance;

• Outlook 2002/XP will run on Windows 7 but it has the same password XXXXX issues as when using it on Windows Vista.
  • Outlook 2000 cannot be installed in Internet Mail Only Mode (IMO Mode) and should always be installed in Corporate/Workgroup Mode (CW Mode) to prevent a wab.dll error.
Taken from Here

To check which Mode your Outlook installation configured for, Choose Help >> About

Detailed instructions on how to switch from one configuration mode to the other see this Microsoft Article

Which is the best mode?
  • If you have been using Eudora, Outlook Express or Netscape Communicator with just the Internet Mail transport, you should install Internet Mail Only (IMO) mode. This also applies if you have been using Outlook 97 or Exchange with only the Internet Mail transport (check Tools | Services). IMO mode supports POP3, LDAP and IMAP and is faster for Internet mail users than Corporate or Workgroup. It also includes Symantec WinFax Starter Edition, suited to occasional fax transmissions but not extensive sending or receiving. However, it does not allow multiple profiles (except through multiple Windows logons) or support the Personal Address Book. Its address book can also be very slow if you build a large Contacts folder.
  • If you have been using Outlook 97 or Exchange to connect to Microsoft Exchange Server or Microsoft Mail, you should choose Corporate or Workgroup (CW) mode, which will allow you to use any of the MAPI messaging, address book or other services that you might see in your Outlook or Exchange profile. Use Tools | Services to check for sure. If you see anything other than Internet Mail (or E-mail), Personal Folders, Personal Address Book or Outlook Address Book, you must install CW mode to retain those services. CW mode does not support IMAP. Microsoft's ActiveSync utility apparently requires CW mode.
  • There is also a No E-mail mode, if you want to use Outlook 98 just for calendar, contacts and tasks, not for e-mail. Note that MAPI address books, such as Corel's, do not work in No E-mail mode. You must install CW.

Taken from Here

So you can avoid the wab.dll error by switching to CW Mode, but it may not work with a non-exchange environment. As far as a download to fix the bug in windows 7, I'm not sure one is available. In Vista, it looks like having all the service packs could potentially fix the bug.

You could try renaming the wab.dll by following these instructions, as it might be corrupt.

Renaming the dll

There is alwaying trying to reinstall Outlook 2000 as installs occasionally do go bad.

I hope this points you in the right direction! Smile