Can not get a microphone with headset to work when plugged…

Customer Question
Can not get a microphone...
Can not get a microphone with headset to work when plugged into port on left side of computer. Headset speakers work fine.
Inspiron 1520 running Vista.
Can you explain how to get the computer to recognize a microphone?
Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/28/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Joe B, Computer Expert replied 8 years ago
Joe B
Joe B, Computer Expert
Thank you for asking your question. I would like to help you but I need a little more information.

1. What is the make and model of the headset you are trying to use?
  2. when you plug in your headset, are there one or two plugs that you need to plug in?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Thanks,

Joe
Hi Joe

I have 3 headsets, they are Logitech, Genius and the other one does not have a brand name on it. I do not have model names or numbers for any of them. I have used them on other laptops I have with no problem.

My laptop has one plug in for the microphone and one plug in for the speakers. Each of the headsets has a green plug for the speakers and a pink plug for the microphone.

Tim
we are going to see if the volume for your microphone is on mute. Do the following to raise the volume on your microphone:

1. Click Start, then control panel
  2. Click Sound
  3. Click on the Recordings tab
  4. Click on Microphone, then click properties
  5. Click on the levels tab
  6. Raise the volume all of the way up
  7. Keep clicking OK to close all the sound windows.
  8. Test your microphone.

Please let me know if this does not work. We will continue from there.

Thanks,

Joe
(Please click Accept if you agree with my answer)
Hi Joe

I did as asked and the volume for the microphone in properties was already at 100 and the microphone boost is set at the highest +20 dB and it still does not work.

FYI the speakers and microphone built into the computer do work.

Thanks
Tim
Ok, try the following:

1. Click Start, then control panel
  2. Click Sound
  3. Click on the Recordings tab
  4. Click on Microphone, then this time click on Configure
  5. In the new window that opens up, click Set Up Microphone.
  6. Follow the setup wizard and let me know the outcome.

Thanks,

Joe
Hi Joe

Followed your directions but still not recognizing the microphone. FYI speakers or earphones work well.

Thanks
Tim
You mentioned previously that you have a built in microphone as well. I believe that is interfering with the one you are trying to use. What is the make and model of your computer so I can see how to disable your built in mic?

thanks,

Joe
Dell Inspiron 1520.
I do not want to disable my built in mic.

On any other computer I have had when you plug in the headset the built in speakers and mic are disabled while the headset is plugged in and they work as soon as you unplug the headset.
Sorry for the delay, but I'm going to have to opt out of the question so another expert can try and help you.
Tech Support Specialist: hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to justanswers.com my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help you with your computer problem.

When you plug the external mic into the pink socket do you get any pop up on the screen & is the internal mic still activated?

Please try these steps

Check the audio array sound management controls under Start/Programs/Dell or within the Control Panel to active the external microphone.

or

Go to the
Control Panel choose "Hardware and Sound" then "Manage audio devices" in the Sound tab, then the "Recording" tab.
RIGHT CLICK on the dialog box and select "Show disconnected devices" and/or "Show disabled devices"
Left click on Microphone array to select it and click "Properties"
To the right of Device Usage, click the arrow pointing down and select "use this device(enable)"
Then choose Apply and OK. You will now see in the Sound/ Recording tab that its working.

or

Dells come with a utility which you can use to check your microphone without relying on the Operating System. You access at the boot up stage by following these steps

To run Diagnostics restart the computer and as soon as it starts to boot up hold down f12. Select 'Diagnostic' from the boot menu. The computer will run its pre-boot assessment tests for 3 or 4 minutes before the Dell Diagnostic starts. These pre-boot tests play some beeps and tones through the system speaker but this doesn't test the rest of the audio hardware, so you still need to let Dell Diagnostics run after the pre-boot tests finish. Dell Diagnostics plays an instrumental piece of music complete with drums, so if you only hear some tones then you have only run the pre-boot assessment test.

When Dell Diagnostics opens, select 'custom', then the audio test. This will test your audio system independently of Windows and drivers, meaning it doesn't matter if they are working correctly or not.

Dell Diagnostics will play some audio and ask you whether you heard it, etc. Eventually the external mic test should come up. If the test passes that means the hardware is okay but there is a problem with the software or configuration. If it fails that means there is a hardware problem.