I have inadvertantly deleted a 6 page word file on vista representing…

Customer Question
I have inadvertantly deleted a...
I have inadvertantly deleted a 6 page word file on vista representing 6 hours of work. When I went to the recycle bin there was nothing there. Is there any other way to recover or am I sunk?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/27/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

Ok.. there are seveal methods we can try.. so bear with me..

the first thing is.. do you still have word open.. did you delete the file itself?

or did you just erase the contents of the file?

with word open.. click on the round word button at the top left.. now do you see where it shows recent files.. is your file listed there..

if so open it.

If not, click file open on word.. and see if your file is listed..

if not..

Then click on word options at the lower left.. and tell me if autorecovery or autosave was turned on..

if so..

we may be able to save the file..

what version of word.. and what version of windows do you have?

I have Vista. I still have a file, though blank, with the correct name on the file. What now?

oK.. DONT CLOSE IT..

with the file open..

hold down control and press Z

do this one at a time.. untill you see the file reappear..

If you havent closed the window at all.. this will work.. let me know what happens
Nothing happened. Any thing else?
still a few more things..

did you ever close the original document?? or did you leave the blank page open in disbelief it was gone?

also.. what version of word do you have.. 2003 2007 2010

I had left the blank page some time ago. I bought this computer about one year ago if that helps you on the word version.

Ok.... how many days ago.. or how many hours ago..

did you accidentally delete the document??

this will determine the time frame we search for the possible recovery files..
About two hours ago.
ok.. two things.. first

we need to see hidden files

#

Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Personalization, and then click on Folder Options.
#

Click the View tab.
#

Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK

Then..

click start.. now see the text box right below all programs..

type in *.asd dont press enter.. does it bring up any files on the top left>?

if not..

type in *.wbk dont press enter.. do you get anything on the top left?

if not..

try ~*.* do not press enter..

anything?

if ot try *.tmp

the idea here.. is we are looking for a file.. that is about two hours old..

maybe a little more...

if anything matches.. right click the file .. click copy
then go to your desktop and right click the empty background and click paste.

the..

close and open word.. the file may appear automatically..

if not.. click the word round butten.. and then click open

where it says file type..

click it and change it to all files.. or *.*

do you see the file we copied available..

Or.. is there any file available that matches the appropriate time.. right before it got deleted..