How can I turn off my screen and still leave my laptop on…

Customer Question
How can I turn off...
How can I turn off my screen and still leave my laptop on? I have a dell inspiron 1200
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/27/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Sudipto, Hardware Engineer replied 8 years ago
Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
WELCOME TO JUST ANSWER!! My name isXXXXX will assist you to solve or identify your problem.

Follow the directions below and let me know if it helps or not...

1.

Right-click the desktop, and then click Properties.

Desktop shortcut menu with Properties selected

2.

In the Display Properties dialog box, click the Screen Saver tab. Then, click the Power button.

Screen Saver tab in Display Properties dialog box with Power selected

3.

In the Power Options Properties dialog box, click the Turn off monitor list, and select a time to automatically turn off your monitor. Five minutes is a realistic setting. If you have a portable computer, set the time for both Plugged in and Running on batteries.

Power Schemes tab in Power Options Properties dialog box with Turn off monitor setting selected

4.

Click OK twice.

Power Schemes tab in Power Options Properties dialog box with OK selected

Windows XP will let your monitor sleep after your computer has been idle for the specified number of minutes. To reactivate your monitor, move your mouse, or press a key.

Source:http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/tips/sleep.mspx

I tried that before and it didn't shut off I followed your steps again and the computer monitor remains on

Sometimes I close the cover of my laptop 3/4 shut and the monitor goes off But when I open the screen it does not go back on. I have to shut down and reboot to enable my screen to light up
Does this happen everytime with the screen?

Yes

monitor does not shut down even though power setting says turn off monitor after one minute of being idle. The only way to close monitor and still leave computer on is to close cover gradually until monitor goes off. Computer remains on ,however screendoes not come back on ,even when I hit a key or play with mouse when I press power button machine takes a while then shuts down and a long wait for windows to resume

I ma out of ideas I will open up the question so that other experts can help you with this issue.You will be notified by email as soon as anyone reply you.

Thanks
Tech Support Specialist: Robert M., Consultant replied 8 years ago
Robert M., Consultant

i am not sure exactly what your goal is here. are you using an external monitor or do you just want the monitor to sleep before the rest of the laptop does

if you just want the monitor to sleep you can right click on a blank area of the desktop select properites / screen saver tab

you can have a screen saver that goes on before the computer sleeps and set it to a blank screen.

you can go to power saving options and select seperately how many minutes before the monitor sleeps / the hard disk sleeps / the entire comptuter sleeps.

you can also change hybernate to sleep. hybernate is more difficult and takes longer to recover from. it writes everything in memory to the hard drive and then turns the computer totally off. then recovers it after going through the entire startup process. sleep just puts it in a power saving stand by mode and can be recovered much faster.

I have a magic jack and it only works with the computer on. My goal is to leave my computer on and have the screen turned off until I wixh to use the computer again.. I would like to be able to use my computer , turn the screen back on without having to restart. or reboot
Tech Support Specialist: Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

Please try update the drivers for you computer. Please download and install the following:

Intel Mobile Chipset
Intel Graphics Video
BIOS

If there is still issue, go to http://www.windowsupdate.com and update all the updates, especially the Hardware.

Thanks,
-Viet
when my computer goes to sleep I cannot turn it back on. I press a key nothing happens I try to move the mouse but the screen remsains black When I push the power button the computer turns off and has to be rebooted.This is not what I want. I want the screen off and the computer on so that my magic jack phone works. Everytime the computer closes it takes several minutes for magic jack to restart.
When I try to download BIOS drivers I get a reply fro BIOSm IE diagnose problem I cannot download the drivers in BIOS

I am having

a lot of difficulty with my computers. I have an Acer aspire 7520 and a Dell Inspiron 1200. I also use a magic jack on each for telephone service. The problem which still has to be resolved is this. I would like both computers to remain on always, but be able to shut the monitor or screen to save power and still be able to turn on the screen when I wish to use the computer I tried all the methods that you have suggested AAAAAAand the screen shuts off but I have to reboot the computer in order to use the magic jack and re log on again.My goall is to have the computer on ,The screen saved and to return to using the computer without any problems

Tech Support Specialist: Ryan B., Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Ryan B.
Ryan B., Support Specialist
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer~!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you with your question.

Your best bet would be to do the following:

1) Click start, click "Control Panel" and make sure you are on classic view then click on "Power Options".
2) When the power options window opens then click on the "Advanced" tab at the top and change the settings where it says "when I close the lid of my portable computer" from whatever it might currently be to "Do Nothing" like the image below. This will make it where your computer will stay on even when you close your monitor and when you open your monitor everything will be the same as before you closed it.
//f01.justanswer.com/ref/http_www.mydigitallife.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/disable-standby-on-lid-close-266x300.gif