I have a Toshiba Satellite P205-S7476. I think the front mic…

Customer Question
I have a Toshiba Satellite...
I have a Toshiba Satellite P205-S7476. I think the front mic circuit of my notebook pc may be bad. I've tried the standard diagnostics, but I seek further advice on testing it.
Thanks---FE
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/27/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Adam Mohr, Computer Tech/System Admin replied 8 years ago
Adam Mohr
Adam Mohr, Computer Tech/System Admin
Hello There Sir or Madam!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you today.

Does the mic on the headsets you purchased work correctly?
Also, did your laptop come with Vista installed when purchased?

Thanks!

Adam- Yes the microphones were purchased yesterday and are new. I get a weak response from the "line-in" port but none from the front mic port. I think the built in microphone above the screen works ok.

Yes the laptop came with Vista Installed (around Dec 2007)---Fred

Hi Fred,

It sounds like you've done some good testing so far.

Some other things you can try are the following:
Updating the drivers
Click the downloads tab
On the page where it says Refine Search by Choose vista from the drop down list
Download and install the sound driver - Realtek Audio Driver

Also make sure that the microphone isn't muted when through the sound controls - accessible through: start button >> control panel >>Sound
graphic

In this window - make sure all devices are enabled. Also click properties and make sure everything is enabled and 'turned up'

If everything in here looks how it should, then the port might just be bad.
I'm not sure how long Toshiba's warranties last, but here is their warranty page/repair center locater
Warranty

Let me know if I can help further!

Also---my wife has an identical laptop PC and the audio wors fine on her laptop.

I may have oveloaded the front mic input with too high an audio signal during some testing.

If needed---where can I order a replacement sound card (seeking a recommendation).

Fred

Hello again,

If your wife has an identical laptop, and the settings are identical then I believe that you definitely have a bad mic port.

Unfortunately, the sound card in laptops is build directly into the motherboard, so replacing the sound card means replacing the entire board.

You could probably order a board from Toshiba and install it yourself, but replacing laptop system boards is a pretty complex task. If you are not comfortable with doing this sort of thing, then it would be safest to send it to repair.

Here is Toshiba's Support Page
Support

Technical Support in the United States

• Computers:(NNN) NNN-NNNN(toll-free) or(NNN) NNN-NNNN/li>
Let me know if I can help further!

How can I get my headset mic to work with the line-in port? [since this port is working]

Maybe a preamp?--Fred

Adam--

How about this: Yesterday I saw in Staples some headsets (with microphones) that plug directly into the USB ports. Would this perhaps work for me (and circumvent the "dead" front mic port?--Fred

Here is just some more general information about mic ports and line in ports:
  • If you are recording with a computer mic, the mic input is the way to go. If you are using a real mic and a mixer or some other preamp, you should go through the line in. The difference is the mic input is designed to handle mic levels (from a computer mic in your case) and the line input is designed to handle line level inputs (from your stereo CD player or tape deck)
A preamp would definitely be the way to go since the mic has such a weak signal. I did a quick search for preamps for the standard pc 3.5mm port and looks like most preamps for microphones inputs are for a larger port size. Radioshack does stock a lot of converters for stereo type equipment if you can't find a 3.5mm preamp.

**Just saw your post - A usb microphone would definitely be the most cost effective way to go.

Adam--

Can you be more specific about how to get to Driver Downloads?

I think I have discovered that I am not able to foce the front mic nor the line in as "Set Default" -- So could this be a driver problem? [The Set Default button is light gray and will not let me press it to select it]---Fred

Adam--

I just tried Driver Downloads---and it tells me my Realtek Sound card Driver is OK and is the latest one----Fred

After you download the driver to your computer - here are the installation instructions:

Installation Instructions

1. Save this file to a convenient location such as the Windows Desktop
  2. Uninstall the existing Realtek Audio Driver by clicking Start, Control Panel, Uninstall a program, Realtek High Definition Audio Driver, then Uninstall.
  3. Restart the computer.
  4. Install the new Realtek High Definition Audio Driver driver_audio_realtek_os2008145a.exe by double-clicking the icon on the Windows Desktop, and following the displayed instructions.
  5. Reboot the computer.
If you need further help with this, let me know.

The Set Default option only becomes available only if there is something plugged into both a mic port and a line in port - otherwise the computer automatically picks whichever is plugged in.