How to fix mx310 u051 error

Customer Question
How to fix mx310 u051 error
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/27/2010
Tech Support Specialist: vasanth, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
vasanth
vasanth, Computer Software Engineer

Hello there!

when do you get this error message?

thanks

I use refilled cartridges and have refilled them many times. Last week I received the U051 message with the message Check Ink. and the Alarm light on.

I have tried to reset the chip using solution 2 on this page:
http://www.fixya.com/support/t2678003-alarm_light_u051_error_mx310

I can get to Service mode but the alarm light blinks in sets of 5.

I also found an approach to get to factory settings.
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/42412

But again the alarm light blinks 5 times and repeats in factory settings as well.

I can not print ever. and when I look on Cannon their website says I should get the printer serviced.

My research indicates that in addition to a ink chip there is a page count that needs to be reset.
Tech Support Specialist: Sudipto, Hardware Engineer replied 8 years ago
Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
WELCOME TO JUST ANSWER!! My name isXXXXX will assist you to solve or identify your problem.

As the other expert is offline I will try to assist you...

The problem you are facing is caused by defective cartridges or when the print head is unable to detect the cartridges you have to replace the cartridges to resolve the issue but before that please remove the cartridges from the print head and clean the contacts of the cartridges and print head with IP Alcohol and Q-Tips until they are cleaned after that check the issue if the problem persist then replace the cartridges and one most important thing that may upset you that is the print head may also get damaged due to refilled cartridges so if the new cartridges do not resolve the issue then you may have to replace the print head also.

I did the cleaning and it did not fix the problem.
From my research it appears that the problem is a page counter that needs to be reset on the chip.
When the problem occurred I had replaced the cartridges and printed a number of pages.
Everything was working with the refilled cartridges. Then after printing a few pages I received the error. the only thing that changed was the number of pages that had been printed.
How could the print head be damaged if it worked and nothing changed with the cartridges and print head?