Linux mint boots to command line instead of x. How to get it

Customer Question
linux mint boots to command...
linux mint boots to command line instead of x. How to get it to boot to x?
This is computer dual boots Vista and Linux.

It was working before update.
GRUB menu works ok except that Linux is not GUI.
Command-line login works ok.
Type 'startx' after command-line login runs Linux Mint gnome ok.

I need to know what to change so that Linux runs GUI instead of command line.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Computer
6/27/2010
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 7 years ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is ***** ***** am here to assist you.

Next after you login, on the command line type:

vi /boot/grub/menu.lst

and press Enter then press the I key for Insert and then find each Linux mint enter that has 'nosplash' listed and change it to 'splash' without the quotes then to save the settings press the Esc key then type in

:wq

and then reboot and the splash screen should appear again.
Mint is a grub2 type of linux, so menu.lst is not editable.
Actually I was thinking command line only. Since you can StartX, you could open a terminal then type

sudo apt-get install startupmanager

then go to the Control Center to access Startupmanager and change the login boot options.

Another way would be to do the following on the command line:

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

then edit the login splash screen settings then

sudo update-grub

which should also restore the GUI login display.
Startupmanager is already installed.
I edit the splash screen settings
resolution: 1280x1024
color depth: 24bits
[x] show boot splash
[ ] show test during boot
close
shutdown
power-on
it works -- woohoo
shutdown
it works again
restart instead of full power-off
stuck with command line again -- what changed?
login
startx
startup manager settings are still as shown above
shutdown -- full power off this time
power-on
still a command line

I tried
[ ] show boot splash
[ ] show test during boot
still get comand line

What is the correct startmanager setting?
Does startmanager actually control anything?
Ok then next try the command line procedure.

Also, after each change check the changes to the config file directly to see what changes are being made. Once it is correct you may have to go to the file directly and mark it read only to make sure unpredictable results occur.
I don't know what the splash screen setings should be.

In folder: /etc/default/
file: grub
######################################
GRUB DEFAULT=0
#GRUB HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=1
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=" splash quiet vga771"
######################################

I can edit the file, but it looks like splash is aleady set by startupmanager.
I don't know about 'quiet'.
Use the startup manager to configure the file again then open the file in gedit and save the file under a different name using Save As from the File menu. Then after the reboot if it does not work, open up the old and new files side by side to view what changed. This should make visible what is causing the issue.
David L
David L, Systems Engineer
David L
David L
David L, Systems Engineer