I have an ACER AOA150 which the screen does not come on, but…

I have an ACER AOA150...
I have an ACER AOA150 which the screen does not come on, but the battery light does. I tried to download the latest BIOS but still no reboot. Appreciate the assistance
6/27/2010
tekbabe
tekbabe, Computer Support Specialist
Hi

When is the last time the laptop worked properly. What were you doing before it did not work again. Installs, upgrades, etc.

Thanks, TB
It worked last night just fine. I was just working on Excel program, Word program (no upgrades),
How were you able to do a bios update if you had no monitor?

Have you a monitor you can use to plug into the laptop, this will test to see if it is actually that laptop monitor.

Thanks, TB
Andy, Computer Consultant

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

Please do the following carefully and let me know result :
1. Shutdown and Unplug your laptop.
2. Remove the battery from the laptop.
3. Wait 2-3 minutes
4. Now press ON (power button on laptop) for 1 minute
5. Then release the finger and wait one more minute.
6. Now plug in the power cable (dont insert battery yet) and press ON button.
7. Did your screen start working now ? (do you see windows loading)

Let me know how it goes. Do you see any change in LEDs on/blinking.

If this helped, please click "ACCEPT".

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Attempted, but not change. My LED does come on, but no Windows
Hi

Please answer all these questions 1 to 4 point by point.

1. When you press the power button to turn it on, do you see any thing on screen, like the Acer boot up screen or something like that. Or is it completely blank (black color) always.

2. Can you see a faint image of your desktop (try to see it in dark place with flash light). This is important to confirm.

3. Also, when you press power button, do you see the LED lights on laptop blinking or solid green (which ones are in blinking/solid) and do hear any sound ? Or do you feel that your laptop doesnt even try to boot.

4. Can you hear any Beeps when you try to turn on the computer. If yes, what is the sequence of those beeps.

1. Nothing on the screen. Only the LED light (green power light) comes on. Completely black.

2. No faint images. Completely black

3. Power button is green (not blinking, just solid green). Sound, yes but just sounds like it starts up, but the harddrive is not engaging (no clicks or beeps noted)

4. No beeps just the sound of the machine turning on.

Hi

Now, first make sure that the power adapter / cord is fine and is giving right output voltage. If the adapter is broken it will not charge up the laptop and so you can see this behavior. Same thing can happen if the power jack in the laptop is broken.

Only when its confirmed that power adapter and power jack is not bad, do as stated further.

What we just did is, we drained all charge from your motherboard. But it still didnt work.

Now you can check these things :
1. Try re-inserting the RAM (memory modules) - do this first. Ram is located on back of laptop under a lid and you will have to open couple screws to reach it.

2. Bios battery. It is a button type battery located on the motherboard inside your laptop. Replace it with new one.

3. Only the screen has failed. You can verify this by using external monitor with this laptop. If laptop works with external monitor then you need to get the display repaired.

If this doesnt work out than its possible that the BIOS has got corrupted. You should get it flashed by taking it to some repair shop.

If this doesnt work, than your motherboard or ram is damaged. You need to get it repaired or replaced. I would suggest you to take quotes from few places because sometimes replacement is cheaper than repair.

If its under warranty, contact Acer's customer support for free repair.

In anycase do not spend more than $200 in getting it repaired because it will be a better investment to buy new laptop as computer prices are at all time low.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Please click "ACCEPT" to pay me for my work.

Andy, Computer Consultant
I hope that Andy is done now, so that I may continue to assist you

Thanks, TB