Until about a month ago, I sent my son many e-mails at [email protected]

Customer Question
Until about a month ago...
Until about a month ago, I sent my son many e-mails [email protected] He went to Vietnam for a tour and all e-mail sent to this same address came back "undeliverable" with the e-mail address reading: [email protected] I still keep getting the same "undeliverable" message at the bottom of this note. What is happening?

Thank you.

Ellen Flamm

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its recipients after more than 48 hours on the queue on elasmtp-banded.atl.sa.earthlink.net.

The message identifier is: 1ORove-0004o5-5o
The subject of the message is: I appreciate your caring. . .
The date of the message is: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 12:05:14 -0400

The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:

[email protected]

No action is required on your part. Delivery attempts will continue for some time, and this warning may be repeated at intervals if the message remains undelivered. Eventually the mail delivery software will give up, and when that happens, the message will be returned to you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/27/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Steven R., Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Steven R.
Steven R., Computer Support Specialist

Hello, thank you for using JustAnswer.com!

I may have an answer that will help. There are a number of things that could be going on here. The most prominent thing that I notice is in the delivery message return stating that it is undeliverable.

This typically means that there is an issue with the network, and or the server where the email is being sent. Ran a trace on elasmtp-banded.atl.sa.earthlink.net and found it just fine, which means it is not on your end; the delivery issue is somewhere between you and the recipient. In other words, a server somewhere along the way could be down, undergoing maintenance or some other issue.

Another possibility is that sometimes countries will shutdown internet access for a period of time; not that this is the case, it is just a possibility.

it sounds like your service provider is doing an auto-send for you until the message gets through. Unfortunately, when dealing with military personnel, there are too many variables that could explain why the email are not being delivered.

As a Navy veteran, I can understand your concern. Being able to remain in touch is very important. I might suggest that you try calling direct if that is possible. If it is not, then I would try writing a letter and sending it via snail mail. If you still cannot get in touch with him, you may want to try calling his command.

If you have an address for regular mail, I would write him a letter and get it mailed ASAP, this way, if you still cannot get your email through, then perhaps your letter will make it through and he can reply back letting you know what is going on.

I would say, let your service provider keep making attempts, and if in a few days, there is no change, I would call his command and see if they can help. During these difficult times, military policy can fluctuate greatly, so I cannot guarantee his command can help you.

You'll have to be as patient as possible, and consider these options. If you found this reply helpful, please click "accept." If you need more information, or suggestions, please feel free to ask. I wish you the best of luck in contacting your son; I know that it is stressful with all of the unknowns.

I thank your son for his contribution to preserving our freedom; thank you for using JustAnswer, and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Relist: Inaccurate answer.

This is not an "armed service" situation. My son was just a tourist in Vietnam. He is now back in Ohio and is still not getting e-mail from me (though from other sources, he is. . .)

Thank you.

My apologies, when someone says a tour to Vietnam, well, I thought it meant that he was in the service.Foot in mouth

When you list the email address it blocks it out from being viewed on my end, so I cannot tell what the email address is. If you leave out the @ symbol, I can try to see if I can route to the server; this will let me know if there is an issue with the email server. Until I know the part after the @ symbol (the domain i.e. hotmail, gmail, aol etc.), I cannot track the issue.

I do know that hotmail has been having issue for the last two days, and if you can provide the domain, I will be happy to investigate further. As a side note, I recently went through an instance where AT&T was having trouble routing all email messages and some messages did not arrive until 4 days later.

With the additional information, i can better help you; I look forward to your reply!