I have am working with Adobe Premiere Elements 8. I built…

Customer Question
I have am working with...
I have am working with Adobe Premiere Elements 8. I built 2 videos using footage from a Panasonic DMC-FZ35 camera. The footage seemed to import into the organizer fine and if the individual footage is replayed it looks ok. When I built/edited the videos the screen playing the video footage seemed to have an unusual 'filter' that changed colors to irridescent but I could see the footage and pick what I wanted. When I play the video footage back I can hear the sound but the screen is blank aqua.
[email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/27/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Dr. Dan, Engineer replied 8 years ago
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Engineer

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be working with you today on your question!

This has been an extensively discussed problem over at Adobe: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2456601#2456601

In reading through that thread it seems like your camera's video file settings AVCHD Lite that is used for HD video by Panasonic is not widely supported and not natively supported by Adobe Premiere Elements 8. A workaround to this is to either convert the AVCHD Lite files into MPEG files using software such as:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5079334_convert-avchd-mpeg.html

or there has been an experimental preset patch

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/605768?tstart=0

that users have created to allow for the file to be correctly interpreted by Adobe Elemetns 8.0, but you will need to be a pretty advanced user to get that to work correctly.

I would recommend either editing the videos with Panasonic's software that they provided with your camera, or converting your AVCHD files from your camera to any other video form and then using those converted files in Premiere Elements. Unforunately that is the main workaround until Adobe officially supports AVCHD, usually in their next version of the software as they are not keen of adding support through upates.

Dan, I recorded in .mov file. This is compatible with Adobe premier AND why I bought Adobe premier as .mov was not compatible with windows movie maker. I have been trying to get these videos edited for 3 months and am about at the end of my patience. I took the camera and computer to best buy and to the camera company after I emailed you for help and they can't seem to figure it out.

Panasonic has the option of recording in HD or in .mov I have always recorded in .mov

Understood. The MJPEG compression that the camera uses despite it's .mov extension is likely confusing Premiere Elements 8 -- in otherwords PE8 is thinking that it is a .mov but really it is a MJPEG that has the .mov extension (for more information see http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/515/cpsid_51528.html ). A couple of workarounds to this would be to try renaming the file extension from .mov to .avi to see if that improves anything. Make a copy of any .mov video file and change the extension (tutorial here: http://www.mediacollege.com/microsoft/windows/extension-change.html ) to either .avi or .mpg (you can experiment with either as those are more generic 'buckets' that PE8 should interpret more openly.). If this does not work your likely bet is to transcode the .mov files to another format such as .mp4 or .avi with MPEG-4 encoding. This is unlikely however as PE8 claims that is supports MJPEG files which you have, but it may just be confused with the .mov extension, hence my suggestion to change it to .avi or .mpg.

Let me know if that helps.

Hi Dan,

I tried .avi and .mpg extensions but neither worked. The .avi said that either the file type was not supported or I didn't have the right codec. The codec issue seemed to be my problem with windows movie-maker but I tried downloading the correct codec from freeware and I still couldn't get windows movie-maker to work (hence Adobe Premiere).

I tried the .mpg extension and it consistently crashed the program with a task manager message that the system was no longer responding..... EEEEEE I have spent sooooo much time on this over the last 2 months ! I have tons of files of .mov taken by that camera.

Any other advice? Thanks,

carol