I was replacing the keyboard on my Dell Inspirion 1525 and…

Customer Question
I was replacing the keyboard...
I was replacing the keyboard on my Dell Inspirion 1525 and broke the Keyboard Connector Latch. Am I in trouble and needing to replace the motherboard or can I get a replacement?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/27/2010
Tech Support Specialist: holyoke_ma_comp, Computer Guru replied 8 years ago
holyoke_ma_comp
holyoke_ma_comp, Computer Guru
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today

Can you tell me if you have any open USB ports on your computer?
Yes, there are open USB ports.
Ok

What I would suggest is that you purchase a USB keyboard. The old one you have broken is no longer good. So you will need a new keyboard. Most keyboards today are USB, so you should be able to get one rather inexpensively. I have a logitech USB keyboard and it works great.

This should allow you to continue using your computer and not have to get the keyboard input or motherboard replaced.

If this answer is satisfactory, please click on the ACCEPT button and positive feedback is always appreciated.

If you have trouble getting the USB keyboard setup please post back and I will assist you.

Brian
Tech Support Specialist: Andy, Computer Consultant replied 8 years ago
Andy, Computer Consultant

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

Did the connector on the keyboard break off ... or did the socket in which the keyboard's pin plugs in break off ?

The Keyboard Connector Latch the the keyboard cable plugs into broke off?

Did the plastic socket broke (developed a crack) .. or did the socket came off from the motherboard thereby breaking the soldering ?

Just the latch that clamps done over the cable broke. Everything else is intact.
Hi

In that case you have two options :
1. Try to plug in the keyboard's connector in the socket (on motherboard) and see it it holds up. Do not put any glue there.
2. If it does not stay put in the socket, then you need to get the socket replaced by a local laptop repair shop. A new socket will have to be soldered there. Its a delicate job and its better to get it done professionally.

This is repairable and so there is absolutely no need to replace the motherboard.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Please click "ACCEPT" to pay me for my work.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Andy, Computer Consultant