cant reboot acer aspire after a crash; need to (i think) get…

Customer Question
can't reboot acer aspire after...
can't reboot acer aspire after a crash; need to (i think) get to bios utility; nothing seems to work from insyde h20 setup utility
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/27/2010
Tech Support Specialist: tekbabe, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
tekbabe
tekbabe, Computer Support Specialist
Hi

do you have the CD for ther operating system and what is the operating system?

What is the make and model of your pc/laptop?

Do you know what caused the crash, did you have any warning there were issues?

Thanks, TB
No, the laptop did not come with a back up cd, I am using Microsoft version 2002 xp as a reinstall Cd

Thanks, TB
intel celeron, acer aspire 5315, installing linux caused crash -linux was supposed to be the second OS
acer aspire 5315, make and model
crash caused when loading debian lenny as the second OS
Please tell me by typing in reply exactly what your operating system CD has written on it.

Thanks, TB
Microsoft windows xp home edition
What you are going to have to do is reinstall your operating system

The failed install of the other OS has corrupted the one you have.

Put your CD in the drive. shut off the PC

When you turn the pc back on, tap F2 every one second until you get choices
Once the screen comes up with choices, use your up and down keys to choose boot options.
Choose to boot to the CD
Save and exit and restart the PC
Once you are given the choice to boot to the cd by hitting a key, do so.
When you are given choices, you want to do the following

Repair install of Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD

loadTOCNode(3, 'moreinformation');

To reinstall Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD, follow these steps:
  1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
  2. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message on the screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
  3. The following message on the Welcome to Setup screen will appear: This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer: To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER. To repair a Windows XP installation by using Recovery Console, press R. To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
  4. Press ENTER to set up Windows XP.
  5. On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
  6. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
Let me know if you need any further assistance to do this, as I will be here if you do.

Thanks, TB
Tapping the f2 kwy does not work - it only brings up the insyde h20 utility; need half an hour then will be back, also need fix with bonus
When you try to start the laptop does anything come up on the screen (it will flash fast)
yes
but not with tapping the F2 key; that happened with something else i did (can't remember now
as I said tapping the F2 key does not work.

Please try this. Shut off the laptop totally

Alt + F10

The above key combination chosen immediately after you start the laptop,
should get you to the Acer eRecovery.

Alt + F10 does not get to acer erecovery screen. Sorry!!!
You need to choose
both ALT key
and F10 key at the same time the second the laptop turns on...
give it 2 or 3 tries....
This is from a start after laptop is totally off.

If this does not work, place CD, as I suggested , shut off laptop, turn it back on and you will be given the boot option of CD...that is what you want.
Then follow the instructions I submitted to you above.

Thanks, TB
Sorry, TB. Have tried this as you siad, 5 or 6 times, ALT and F10 key simultaneously, only brings up Acer Intel Press <F2> to go tot set up, then prepare boot to OS, then blank/black screen and - flashing in the top left hand corner.
you want the choice of PREPARE BOOT TO OS...with cd in drive
HOw do I get it, please???
Okay, sorry -getting frustrated!!! NOthing happens after this prompt comes up except the black screen with the flashing cursor???
have you quit???
Not at all

Like I explained in the last post, once you get to f2, that will get you to the boot options
if this does not work for you.

Shut the laptop off and when you turn it back on, tap function key F12 every one second until you get choices...you want system setup and then boot options...follow directions to get to CD for first boot.

Need to know every screen you are able to see

Thanks, TB