I have a HP Pavillion laptop with Microsoft Windows XP Home…

Customer Question
I have a HP Pavillion...
I have a HP Pavillion laptop with Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition loaded, 2003.

Recently I downloaded Internet Explorer 8, and it's been downhill from there. Slow running. Alerts for Skype, which had never appeared before. And when I ran a Registry check, had to clear 843 errors. Now I have downloaded IE 6, hoping to return to previous functioning after I remove the 8.

Can you tell me what's going on? What was my original IE version?
Thanks, Merille
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/27/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Bryan, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Could you clarify your issues a bit further? Did opening webpages become slower after upgrading to IE8, or the general functioning of the system? Also, what about the alerts/errors,etc?

Regards

General functioning of the system became very slow. Some systems simply stopped working, such as my back up USB wireless network system I use when I travel to access wireless networks in hotels. I got two kinds of alerts: 1) malicious script and 2) attempt to access by Skype (which I always permitted).

Anyway, I just purchase Uniblue Registry cleaner, and it detected 843 errors, which it then "cleaned."

Does that help? Merille

I see; now, after the registry cleanup, did it affect the functioning of the system in any way?

Also, when did you download IE8? Was it recently?

Regards
The registry clean up appears to have allowed things to function a little faster. The download to IE8 was @ 2-3 weeks ago.mg
Okay ..as a first step, please go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore, then restore your computer back to a time and date when your system was functioning all right (prior to installing IE8). Done that, restart and let me know so that I can follow further with instructions on tuning up your computer.

Regards
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Ok. I've got system restored. I got another menu for malicious script: FileSystemObjecy MSiExec.exe. What's next? Merille
Did you get this error message at startup?

Regards