I have an HP laptop and want to install a new hard drive. I…

Customer Question
I have an HP laptop...
I have an HP laptop and want to install a new hard drive. I picked one up and tried to install the OS but I get an error saying that I don't have a hard drive installed. I DO! why wont it recognize it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/26/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Bryan, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Is it a SATA drive?

Regards
Yes. the new one is a SATA 7200 rpm Hitachi
Since it's a new SATA drive, we will need to slipstream the SATA drivers for your hard drive for Windows XP.

For instructions on doing the same, please check out the following link:
http://www.digitgeek.com/how-to-slipstream-sata-drivers-into-xp-cd/

If you need any assistance at any step, just let me know.

Regards
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist

Since the laptop is dead. I downloaded the n-light and the intel drivers on a nother computer and burned them on 2 cd's. I tried loading the n-light onto the laptop and nothing happened. What am i doing wrong

Did you use nLite to slipstream the drivers into the XP disc itself, and boot up your system using the same?

Regards

So I need to do all this first on a working computer then install the XP cd into the laptop?

Precisely ..keep me posted.

Regards
Sorry, this is way more then I'm used too!
No problem; I'll walk you through the entire process.

Now, I assume you have a Windows XP installation disc with you?

Regards
Ran into a snag. thought all is well until I got to the burn button. I now get an error saying media is too small. ISO size 841.61MB can not fit on a cd.
I should probably mention that my XP Media Edition is 2 CD's so i'm thinking there isn't enough room on the first CD.
Oh, I see. What were the drivers you slipstreamed?

Regards
There was about 9 listed. I had no idea if I should pick one or all, so better safe then sorry. I picked them all.
I see; that accounts for the large increase in the ISO size; could you provide me with the link where you downloaded the drivers from?

Regards
There was a "click here" spot while going through the process. It redirrected me to intels driver downloads for this process. I clicked and got a bunch of them. Sorry I didn't pay attention to the exact Site name.
I see; and what's the make and model of your HP laptop?

Regards