Hello Skype Experts....hope you can help me with my small problem.

Customer Question
When I call some one...
Hello Skype Experts....hope you can help me with my small problem. When I call some one on my list I know longer can here the sound of the ringer paging that person. Also, when some one calls here it does not ring. Seems all other parts of Skype work fine. If you have any idea I would apprecaite them. Thank you in advance.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/26/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Brad, Computer Technician replied 8 years ago
Brad
Brad, Computer Technician
The problem is with your audio settings. MAke sure that they are not set to headphone and that your speaker is not muted on any of the sound properties. Right click on the speaker by the clock and select adjust audio properties and make sure that you have your equipment listed in volume, audio and then click on the speaker again with the right button and make sure that there are no mutes in the adjust audio properties.
Hello Brad Thank you for the quick answer but, that does not help...The sound from my speakers and my mmic work fine..I can hear and talk to people on Skype..I also passed the simple test on Skype re speakers and mic...the problem is when I call some one I can not hear the the telephone ringer at thier computer ( that really is no problem) But, when they call me there is no ringing on this end...therefore I do not know some one is calling me..I only find out when I notice the icon for Skype tells me somwe one called

In skype click on tools, options, audio settings and make sure that they are correct.

In the sounds and audio device properties for windows xp, click on the audio tab and see what is listed for default device. There is a drop down for it. Click that drop down and make sure that the device that is listed is your audio device. Also check and see if skype is listed as an audio device. The other thing is to make sure that the do not disturb button is not checked.

If those are not helping, I need to know some other things.

hello again Brad.........none of your suggestions seemed to have worked....it is strange as Skype has been working perfect untill about a montha ago.....I keep getting the same message back if I try to adjust any thing in audio A box apears with the heading " SOUND PLAYBACK ERROR" inside the box it says " PLAYBACK NOT SUPPORTED." AS i SAID sKYPE HAS WORKED FINE TO JUST LATLEY AND i HAVE DONE NO adjustments to this program

Frown

What else have you installed?

Please click start and run and in the box type devmgmt.msc

hit the enter key and then look at the list of things

Please click view and select show hidden devices,

Then check the list and see if there are any devices that are listed

that have a ! or a ? on the side of them. If there are please let me know.

Also I need to know what the make and model of the computer is

Hi no I see no marks and my Computer is a HP Compaq CNN 5370C91

every thing works on Skype I was just on it talking to some one..the comper did not ring but, I looked up and seen the message on my monitor that someone was callin...I answered it and we chatted for 5 minutes I could hear my party could hear me also

What was the last thing that you added?

Did you change any hardware or add remove software?

I cannot find any reference to the model number that you have listed please confirm.

There is also the option to run restore in windows to set the computer back to a date that you know that skype worked the way it was supposed to.

Yes I added a cam yesterday but Skype been acting up way before I installed cam

outside of that I have added or removed nothing

Hi Again....needed a nap.......HP Compaq Presario is the model of this computer.....doing a restore I had thought of However I have no idea when program went faulty, has been a while. What is your thought of removing Skype and then re installing Smile
Naps are good! You can uninstall Skype, then reboot the computer and reinstall. That would be okay to do. LEt me know how it goes.

Hello again Brad......I removed Skype, rebooted, installed Skype....every thing working well except same problem there still is no ringing to page me.....were caught between a rock and a hard spot

Skype-->Tools -> Options -->Sound Devices-->USB Audio Device (do not use windows default device)
You can also check the ring pc speaker check box as this is a good backup to alert you even if the main speakers are off or turned down.

Start-->Control panel-->Sound and Audio devices
On the audio tab set the default playback device to your main soundcard.

LEt me know

Ok here we go to catch you up to speed...removed Skype twice and downloaded it back twice...same problem...I went to tools.> options and looked for a icon called SOUND DEVICES no such thing was a icon AUDIO SETTINGS every thing seems to be ok.....checked icon SOUNDS it shows a box with different ring tones a small green arrow to hear sound....when pressed get an immediate error messahge SOUND PLAYBACK ERROR..PLAYBACK NOT SUPPORTED.... I have talked on Skype this am and I can chat and here the other party no problem....I did install a web cam 2 days ago...I removed it to see if that would help did not help...I was sure it would not as I have been having the same problem for at least a month prior.......sound and mic working fine in all other applications

Here is information directly from skype:

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=143441

Please read and try the things that are listed.

Hello Brad....All your suggestions have not worked, I am still having the same problem.

I have a feeling we will never get it fixed....I am a bit confused re statement you are holding a deposit...I just want to confirm that your fee is $20.00 for the work you have provided....although the problem is not fixed I do believe you deserve the fee...if you confirm the fee is $20.00 I will respond immediatley

I want to ask a couple of questions first:

1. What version of skype is this?

2. What MODEL NUMBER is XXXXX computer.

3. Did it ever work? IF so what was the last thing that was installed?

4. What are your feelings on restore (wipe the computer) and reinstall?

Hi Brad

I have Skype 4.2.0.`169

This is all the info I have on my puter HP Compaq Sr161onx ed865aa.aba cnn537oc91

Yes, it has worked fine up on till maybe 5 weeks ago the paging ring was loud and I could hear it any where in the house...then people were asking me why I was not answering, I had to explain because the puter never rang...all other programs loud and clear

I added a cam about 6 days ago, But as the ringing had stopped well prior to that./.Skype works fine except the paging

Pretty drastic wiping out the hard drive....I am puter iliterate would not consider I dont think, would sooner have Skype faulty

Go to this site and download the VERSION before the one that you have. Then uninstall the one that is on the machine and reboot and install the one that you downloaded.

http://www.oldapps.com/skype.php

Brad
Brad, Computer Technician
Getting ready to make a boat anchor out of this puter. Ok, tried to down load as you suggested. First thing it would not down load if I did not download some thing that is called " registry booster." This told me that I has a zillion error and they could fix it for only $ 29.99. Finally got it down loaded, rebooted puter, then had no dam idea where the download was. Any who I tried to download the regular way and recieved this message, I think here is the trouble...."There is a problemwith the windows installer package. A script required to install to complete could not run." see some one to fix it or something similar By the way I id not give them no dam$ 29.99

I did not have that problem with the download (the extra program etc.) I hate that process though because it is so confusing.

To work on the script error, click start and run and type sfc /scannow

notice the space between the c and /

this will check all your files for bad or missing microsoft components.

Then you need to go to www.java.com and download the latest version.

IF that does not help, let me know.

Hello Brad.....Well, have have done every thing that has been suggested...however the only thing I have accomplished is a very unstable computer that has slowed down so much it has taken me 1/2 hour to get to this page...I will now have to take puter at the end of the week to a repair shop...I do not blame any of this on your advice, I believe you have tried...just one of those things

Although the problem is not fixed by any means I believe you should gt paid and I will accept answer so you can....Would appreciate if maybe in a week or so contact me and ! will tell you how I made out at the repair shop Dave

You dont have to take it in, you can use restore to put it back where it was.