I have an HP Laptop that I am trying to install The Print Shop…

Customer Question
I have an HP Laptop...
I have an HP Laptop that I am trying to install The Print Shop Version 15 on. I have installed this software program on two other of my computers that also have Windows 7 on them and had no problem. However, on my HP laptop, the install wizard keeps telling me that it has detected a "previous version" of the Print Shop on my computer. I've used every search too I can find and I can't locate anything on this computer that could cause such a conflict. I do not have a previous version of the Print Shop on it == and the install wizard just exits when it asks if I want to uninstall the Previous Version it has detected. Any suggestions.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/26/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Bryan, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Is Adobe Print Shop listed as an entry in Control Panel > Programs?

Regards
No.
Okay ..and is there any reference to Photoshop, or any other Adobe program?

Regards
In the Programs section, there's Adobe Reader 9 and when I searched "Photo", Windows Live Photo Gallery came up.
Okay ..now, are you trying to install the program off a disc? Also, had you purchased it online?

Regards
Yes, It's from a disk and it's 7 or 8 years old -- there are newer versions out there but I like this program and it installed successfully on 2 other Windows 7 computers. I did not purchase it on line. Went back and searched again under "Photo" and saw something called HP Media Smart Photo.
Okay ..now, please go to Start > Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features; is there any Adobe reference listed?

Regards

Adobe AIR

Adobe Flash Player 10 Active X

Adobe Reader 9.2 MUI

Okay ..as a test, could you try uninstalling each of the three programs, then installing Print Shop, and check if it makes any difference?

Regards
Ok, but how do I get them back?
I'll walk you through reinstalling them accordingly.

Regards
ok, do I just minimize my internet page that's hooked up to you? If I lose my connection to you while I do this, how do I get you back? Told you I was a novice
Just add this page to your Favorites (Ctrl + D), and you will be able to get back to me later on.

Regards
Ok, did that and the Install Wizard still says it has detected a previous version on my system and it would not install.
Okay ..first off, please reinstall Flash Player and Adobe Reader using the following links:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/
http://get.adobe.com/reader/

Done that, let me know.

Regards
Before I do that, thought that I'd better ask -- was I supposed to reboot the system after I deleted those 3 files? Because I didn't do that, I just deleted them and tried the install setup again.
You needn't reboot; it looks like the issue is elsewhere.

Regards
Whew, done. While I was doing this, I went to my other computer and checked a couple of things. I installed two programs on my desktop that I use with my lightscribe drive -- the Lightscribe program and another program called Sure Thing. On that computer, I installed the Print Shop after their installation. On my laptop, however, I installed both the Lightscribe and the Sure Thing programs before attempting to install the Print Shop. Could either of these two programs be the conflicting ones. Both were downloaded from the net.
Just to clarify, is it Adobe Print Shop you are trying to install, or Broderbund?

Regards
Broderbund
Ah, we were on the wrong path all this time. Now, in Start > Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features, is there any reference to Broderbund listed?

Regards
No
Okay ..now, please remove any instance of Print Shop left, manually using the following steps:

1. Close all programs and windows and return to the desktop.
  2. Double-click the My Computer icon on the desktop.
  3. Click Tools from the menu bar and click Folder Options.
  4. Select the View tab in the window that appears and locate the Hidden Files (or Hidden Files and Folders) setting.
  5. Verify the Display Hidden Files and Folders option is selected.

6. Locate the Hide File Extensions for Known File Types setting and ensure that it does not have a check in front of it.

If a check appears before this setting, click once on the checkmark to remove it.

7. Click Apply and click OK to apply the changes and close the Folder Options window.
  8. Navigate to the drive and location where The Print Shop® 15 is installed. Complete this procedure to navigate to the default installation location:

1. Double-click the C:\ drive. The contents of the C: drive will appear.
  2. Double-click the Program Files folder. The contents of the Program Files folder will appear.
  3. Double-click the Broderbund folder. The contents of the Broderbund folder will appear.
  1. Right-click The Print Shop folder and, using the left mouse button, click Delete from the menu that appears.
  2. Click Yes when prompted to move the files to the Recycle Bin.
  3. Click Back on the tool bar to return to the Program Files folder.
  4. Double-click the Common Files folder.
  5. Right-click the InstallShield folder and, using the left mouse button, click Delete from the menu that appears.
  6. Click Yes when prompted to move the files to the Recycle Bin.
  7. Click the Back button to return to the Program Files folder, or close the Common Files folder.
  8. Double-click the InstallShield Installation Information folder to view its contents.
  9. Right-click the {FB26EA24-AE01-4C86-BEBC-424D5B81E66E} folder and, using the left mouse button, click Delete from the menu that appears.
  10. Click Yes when prompted to move the files to the Recycle Bin.
  11. Close all programs and windows and return to the desktop. The Print Shop® 15 is now removed from the system.

Try reinstalling Print Shop now, and let me know how you get on.

Regards

I think we have a miscue or something -- Print Shop 15 is not on my computer -- I'm trying to install it. It is on 2 other computers that I have -- and it installed successfully on them. The computer I'm trying to install it on keeps telling me there is a previous version of it on my computer -- but I have searched everything I know and there is nothing that says Broderbund or PrintShop or anything of that sort on it.

Using the logic that we did with the Adobe programs, I'm wondering if I should start uninstalling programs one by one that I have downloaded to see if there is one that is conflicting with the install process for PrintShop 15? I know there are two such programs that I downloaded that are graphics type programs that I use for burning lightscribe disks. Do you think this is the way to go?

Are you sure you had never installed Print Shop earlier, and uninstalled it later on?

Regards
Yep!! I just bought this laptop a month or so ago and started putting the software on it that I use regularly. I didn't follow any particular order when I did that and when I got around to trying to install the Print Shop it just simply won't install because of this "previous version' stuff. So my thinking is, that I've got some "other" program conflicting with the Print Shop. When I looked at my desktop computer, I noticed that I had installed the Print Shop on it several months ahead of my lightscribe programs -- so I'm thinking they could be the problem. Do you think that's a possibility?
It might be a far shot; could you try uninstalling the Lighscribe programs first, then installing Print Shop, and check what happens?

Regards

Welll, so much for that. I uninstalled both of them -- one at a time -- and I'm still getting the same message that there's a previous version on my system. This has sure been frustrating. It just seems that if it installed on my two other computers, it should install on this one.

Hmm ..this is getting tricky, indeed. What I'll do is now, is to open up this question for the other experts to try and come up with possible solutions to.

Thanks for your continued patience.

Regards
Ok. But knowing what you know now about my problem, do you think that if I bought the newer version of Broderbund's Print Shop (Version 23 is out now) that I would have the same problem trying to install it. I'm leaning towards "I Would." Because there's something on this computer that some other software has installed that has to be in conflict -- and it seems that the only way to determine this is to uninstall all my crap one by one until I hit the bad apple. What do you think or suggest.
Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

I have a different approach..

Just to see if it works..

on the HP computer.. go to start, control panel, users, manager user accounts..

and then please create a new admin windows user account..

Then.. once created..

shut the computer down..

start it..

And only log into the new windows admin user account..

Now .. try to install the program again..

Any change? will it install/?
Hi Dustin, I'll try this and keep my fingers crossed,. I know you want me to hurry up and accept the answer and I'll be glad to do so -- but I want to make sure that only a one-time $38 charge is going to be billed to me and that this won't be a recurring monthly charge - cuz I didn't sign up for that.
Im unsure of what you mean about hurry up and accepting the answer..

As of yet. we havent answered your question.. Maybe you got an automated email requesting you accept?

if so.. that wasnt from me or B Rath.. The site sends them out every so often..

As far as a recurring monthly charge.. I dont know if you signed up for that or not..

You would have to contact http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

and verify if your on the single plan.. Or the monthly plan..
Ok, tried that and same results -- still says a previous version. Sorry, about the money question -- I thought that if I clickedf on "accept answer" on the screen, then you and I were done. Anyway, it's getting late here and I've got to fix dinner. Can you dwell on this until Tuesday and I'll get back to you then to see if you came up with other recommendations. This is really baffling me.
when you come back.. could you type out the exact and whole message you get..

Any time you want to respond is fine..

Rath May also come Up with some more suggestions. As hes one of the best here.

When I "run" the setup.exe file, it comes up and tells me that it's preparing the Install Shield program. The Broderbund logo appears on the screen with "install" or cancel. I select install. It does the right to left "blue dot" thing and then a message appears that says. "A previous version of the Print Shop has been detected on your system. Would you like to automatically uninstall now? This will not remove your saved projects or art."

Whether I say yes or no at this point, the install program says: "Please Wait, setup is now exiting." And then it goes away and the program does not install.

See ya Tuesday. And thanks ever so much.

Hi Dustin, it's Betty, with the Print Shop install problem. Have a little time to pass on some more info to you even tho it's not yet Tuesday. Using some of the help that B. Rath gave me the other day, I had my computer display all hidden files on the hard drive and had it search for "The Print Shop." Gotta tell ya, gobs of files came up but almost all of them were created and not modified after 2009 so I knew they couldn't be the culprit since I bought this computer in March. But what did come up was something called "Product Manifest." This appeared 3 different times with created dates in Mar & April. All 3 locations are in Program Data and deal with Wild Tangent and "My HP Game Console." I did purchase an online game from Wild Tangent (maybe in Mar) and downloaded it to my computer and they provided me an unlock key. The game is called Polar Bowler. When I clicked on "Properties" one of the files does show up when I click the "Previous Version" tab. I'm wondering if I should try to uninstall this game to see if this is the problem. Two other 2010 files also showed up under the "Print Shop" search, one is appcompat and the other is autorun -- but both of these were created and/or modifed after I encountered my installation problem -- so I think they can be eliminated from the equation. Do you think I'm on the right track? I believe the Wild Tangent folder came preinstalled on my computer and I'm assuming I would just locate Polar Bowler and select uninstall strictly on it and no other Wild Tangent stuff.
I seriously doubt that the polar bowler is causing this

The Print Shop." Gotta tell ya, gobs of files came up but almost all of them were created and not modified after 2009

the modify date canty be trusted.. programs older then your computer still show up older.. or else everything would start from the day you bought it.. but thats not the case

i want to bring in some re enforcements

please download the free trial below

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

download revo free.. install it.. run it

can it find anything related to this issue to uninstall

print shop, broderbund.. anything?
Ok, I did that. When the program comes us it shows me all the programs on my computer. When I typed The Print Shop in the search block, everything disappeared and it said "no results."
Dustin, go have a beer. I'm calling it quits for tonight -- gotta get dinner started. I'll check tomorrow to see if you've come up with any other ideas. You guys probably thrive on this kind of stuff, but it makes my head spin. Wish I was more knowledgeable but I'm "DOS trained!!" See ya tomorrow.
Just seen your message.. Sorry i didnt reply earlier..

Ya.. i think i may take a break soon definitely..

Im confused as to why the program is giving that error.. And im pretty sure Rath covered the registry and folders already.. . hmm

Let you know if i come up with anything.
Yo Dustin, haven't heard anything so I'm guessing you didn't come up with anything more to try. In the meanwhile, I did order the updated version of the Broderbund Print Shop program and got it today. It installed fine so I guess my problem can be considered resolved.
Sounds like the older program just wasnt compatible..

( just came back from a week off..)

If you feel the issue was resolved, and want to close this one out..

You could click accept..

In cases like these, its feasible to split the credit up two ways between me and Rath if youd like to do so..

Once again. Im sorry for the delay in getting back to you..

was on Summer vacation.. Albeit a short one.

Thank you for your question and responses..

And Im happy that your issue is now resolved.