I have installed a second 1TB WD10EADS internal disk in my…

Customer Question
I have installed a second...
I have installed a second 1TB WD10EADS internal disk in my HPE-210y. I can F into the RAID config utility easily enough on boot, but it is not intuitive how to config RAID 1 on the two internals. Can you help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/26/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Christopher Bessler, Director of Computer Engineering replied 8 years ago
Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Director of Computer Engineering
Chat Conversation Started
Christopher Bessler :

OK, first A RAID 1 setup protects data from a drive failure by simultaneously writing data to two hard drives: a master drive and a backup (or mirror) drive. Since the second drive carries an exact copy of the first, it provides no usable storage capacity. RAID 1 offers no gain in drive performance.

Christopher Bessler :

You probably already have a RAID adapter in your PC; many midrange and high-end motherboards come with a built-in RAID controller. Check your PC or motherboard documentation to find out if your motherboard supports RAID (and if so, which levels it supports), and consult any specific installation instructions.

If your PC doesn't have RAID support built in, you'll need an adapter card. Adapters supporting RAID levels 0, 1, 10, and sometimes 5 can be found online for around $100 or less. Adaptec and Promise offer a wide selection of RAID adapters.

Christopher Bessler :

The exact procedure for installing any RAID adapter varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even from model to model, so thoroughly read all of the documentation accompanying your adapter (or motherboard if the adapter is built in) before starting the installation process. Still, the overall procedure is generally the same for all RAID adapters:

1. Install the adapter card and hard drives in your PC.

2. Configure the adapter card and hard drives in the PC's or card's BIOS.

3. Install the controller's drivers in Windows.

Christopher Bessler :

Here's how to install a RAID adapter card in your PC. If your motherboard already supports RAID, skip to "Configure the Adapter in BIOS" below.

1. Unplug your PC and position the case so that you can comfortably reach into the interior. If you have a tower case, you'll find installing an expansion card easier if you lay the case on its side.

2. Protect your PC's delicate circuits from static electricity charges on your body by properly grounding yourself. If you don't have the patience or time to buy a grounding strap, at least make an effort to ground your body by touching a metal faucet, a pipe, or even your PC's case before touching the inside of your PC or any component.

3. Locate an open PCI or PCI Express expansion slot and remove the cover bracket that blocks the slot's access port on the back of the case. Typically, a single screw secures the bracket.

4. Remove the adapter card from its packaging, handling the card by its edges; avoid touching the chips and circuitry on either face of the card.

5. Align the adapter card's connector with the expansion slot and gently but firmly push down on the top edge with even pressure until the card is securely seated in the slot. Secure the card to the chassis with the existing screw or other clamping mechanism.

6. Once the card is installed, install and connect the hard drives to be used in the array. See "How to Install a New Hard Drive" for instructions.

7. Reassemble the PC and power it up.

Christopher Bessler :

Each RAID adapter has a firmware configuration program, unique to that make or model, that lets the user select the type of RAID array to install and choose which hard drives to include in the array. Refer to your adapter or motherboard documentation to guide you thorough the specific installation steps for your adapter.

• Typically, you launch the program by pressing Ctrl-R, Ctrl-A, or some other key combination during the PC boot process. Watch the screen for a prompt, or check your adapter's documentation.

• You may also have to launch your PC's CMOS setup program and configure your SATA hard drives for use in a RAID configuration.

• When asked to select a stripe size or chunk size for a RAID 0 or RAID 5 array, select the default size. Playing with these settings may increase performance for users with plenty of time and energy to experiment.

Christopher Bessler :

If you are installing Windows XP or 2000:

1. Carefully watch the bottom of the screen at the very beginning of the setup process for the prompt, and press F6 if you need to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver. Be quick: You have only a few seconds to press F6 and launch the installation process.

2. Wait for the screen that says 'S=Specify Additional Devices' in the lower-left corner. Press S.

3. When prompted, insert the floppy disk with the adapter's drivers into the floppy drive and complete the driver installation. Once that's done, Windows should continue the Windows installation routine.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.

6:30 PM

6:30 PM

6:31 PM

7. Reassemble the PC and power it up.
6:31 PM

6:32 PM

_______________________________________________________________________
Thank you for your question. If my answer helped at all, please accept. Positive feedback and/or a bonus is always greatly appreciated!
Hi Chris. Just FYI... I have been a Unix admin for about 20 years, so I am not a newcomer to computers. It is just that Windows and Windows hardware is not my primary platform. My HPE-210y PC that I purchased 6 weeks ago CAME WITH a RAID controller. Today I added a second internal drive so I can create a RAID-1 environment. As I stated in my question, I can get into the RAID controller utility by doing a cntrl-F on boot. Once into the utility, it is not intuitive how to create it the RAID. I need specific instructions on how to RAID-1 my internal disks on an HPE-210y that already has a RAID controller and two internal disks. If you do not have experience on this specific hardware, please forward this to someone who does. Thanks. Rich.
Ah, sorry about the misunderstanding.

What is the RAID utility that came with your machine?

Across the top of the utility screen it says:

Option ROM Utility (c) 2009 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Does it say 'for arrays?'
no
OK, when you bring up the utility, does it show a screen that looks like this?

ORCA Main Menu

No. It looks something like this: (sorry. don't know how to do a screen capture, but it is white letters on blue background)

Option ROM Utility (c) 2009 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

| |

| View Drive Assignments........ [ 1 ] |

| |

| Define LD ...............................[ 2 ] |

| |

| Delete LD ................................[ 3 ] |

| |

| Controller Configuration .........[ 4 ] |

| |

-----------------------[Keys Available}-------------------------------

| |

| Press 1..4 to Select Option [ESC] Exit |

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, the first thing you have to do is enable RAID. This is done in the controller configuration selection. Just make sure that you have the proper drive type selected (SATA, IDE, SCSI, ETC.)

Once that is done, you may need to reboot, depending on the version of the utility. You will either be shown a Create RAID Volume selection, or Define Volume.

From there is it pretty easy, up and down arrows to select RAID 1 and press enter. Select the drives you want to use and press enter. Select the capacity, and press enter.

The key is really enabling RAID mode with the proper drives and then rebooting. Because before you do that, you don't even see the option.

Let me know if there are any problems with this.

When I go into the Controller Configuration, I get:

Option ROM (blah, blah...)

------------------------------[ Adapter Configuration - Options ]------------------------------------

| No Parameters Defined for Current Disk(s) ... |

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------[ System Resources Configuration ]------------------------------------

| |

| AHCI HBA MMIO Base Address: FE7FFC00 |

| |

| |

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| [ Keys Available ] |

| [ ESC ] Exit |

Are you able to select the parameters? That is where you are going to have to enable RAID for the SATA drives.
As the screen says, the only available key is [ESC]
OK, I am going to opt out. Either my experience is with a different version of ORC or there is an error that I do not know how to diagnose.

I am sorry. I will open this up to other experts, and another one should pick this up quickly.
I have opted out. Another expert should pick this up quickly.
Thank You.
No problem.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Chris went as far as he could, but was unable to answer the question. I need a different expert to help me.