I have WinXP, Office 2003, and just installed Works 9 so I…

Customer Question
I have WinXP, Office 2003...
I have WinXP, Office 2003, and just installed Works 9 so I could send a Word file to someone who doesn't have Word, but she has Works 9. I saved the Word file (Save As) as Works file. The file opened OK for her, so I sent another, which was also OK. A third, larger file, when I tried to do a Save As (Works) from Word, I got the message that I didn't have enough memory. So I rebooted, but still got the not enough memory message. I tried sending you this question earlier, and checked the $18 box, but it wanted to charge $38 to my credit card.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/26/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer replied 8 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
Hello. Welcome To JustAnswer.

Where you attempting to save the file to an external USB drive or flash drive? Or where you trying to save to your harddrive? Please verify the "Save As" location.

Thank you.
No, I just saved it within Works (on the hard drive). From there I was wanting to send the file to my friend as an e-mail attachment.
Please provide the exact error message.

"There is not enough memory to open file . . . . Close your document, close other files, then try again." I did that, in fact rebooted, but got the same error message.

What is the file size of the file in question?
I'm never sure where to look to find a file size.
Found it - a Word document size 284 KB
Will there be any further questions? I will be away from the computer later this evening.
Apologize about the delay.

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System

Tell me what the RAM is listed here.

Then go to Advanced tab -> under Performance click on Settings -> Advanced tab -> under Virtual Memory tell me what the Total paging file size for all drives is.

OK - RAM = 768

Total = 1152 MB

We'll have to continue this tomorrow. I don't know where you are, but I'm on the east coast and it's after 11 p.m.

I'm on the East Coast, South Carolina.

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced tab -> under Performance click on Settings -> Advanced tab -> under Virtual Memory click Change -> change the initial and maximum paging size to 2048 and press Set -> OK -> OK -> OK

Reboot your PC.

Now attempt to save the Word file in question as Works and see if you get the same error.
I typed an answer to this yesterday, I don't know what happened to my reply. Anyhow, here is what I asked: My Initial Paging size was 1152, so I changed it to 2048. But my Maximum was 2304, should I lower it? I hadn't rebooted when I initially wrote this. I haven't tried again to save the Word file in Works, I wanted to hear back from you first.
Change both the Initial and Maximum for 3072 to be safe.

Reboot and then attempt to save the Word file again and see if you get the same error.
Oh, that's a lot larger than what you suggested the first time! I'm on a tight schedule and have to leave the computer right now, so I can't do what you suggest right away; how long will you be there?
If you reply to this thread, I will get the message. As soon as I get the message, I will reply.

Just let me know the results. Smile
<sigh> I did all that - changed both to 3072, rebooted, went to Works and got THE SAME error message about not enough memory. What a disappointment!
What is the free space on your hard drive(s)?
Plenty of space! Got a 149 GB hard drive, with 70 GB free!
Can you create a new document in Word and then try to save it as a Works document?

I would like to see if the problem occurs again.

I would like to say that 768 MB of RAM is very low amount of RAM for any PC in today's standard. The error message is related to the virtual or RAM memory. We have increased the virtual memory (paging file) over the maximum utilized for your system. You should probably increase your RAM to at least 2 GB (if an opinion) to maximize your PC's ability.

But attempt to create a new doc and convert it to Works. Update me on the results.
No, that didn't work either. I'm puzzled, if a document can save in Word, why can't it save in Works. I'll have to ask my computer man about more RAM, but he's so busy, I've been trying to get him to come to my house for a few weeks!
The conversion process does take extra memory to process versus a Word save.

What is the make and model of your PC (i.e. Dell Latitude E6500 or HP Pavilion dv9000)? I can look up the RAM for you and tell you exactly what you need.

Also, try disabling your antivirus and have only Microsoft Word open (close all Internet Explorer browsers and any other windows).

Update me on the results.
It's a Toshiba Laptop, Tecra M2 (I think). I use it in a docking station (port replicator) so I have large size monitor and keyboard (and mouse). I'll have to figure out how to disable my Antivirus. Right clicking the AV on its Taskbar icon didn't give me an Exit or Close option. I did have the IE (and everything else I knew of) closed when I tried in Works when it said to close everything.
Your laptop can hold up to 2GB (recommended). You will need two 1GB RAM sticks ($49.99 each) - http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Tecra%20M2%20Series

What antivirus program do you use?

Well, as I said, I'll have to wait for my computer man to find time to come to my house. I'm on his waiting list! <S> He'd have to do the RAM.

I use Avast. He installed it after my computer crashed early this year. It wasn't what I had previously, but he seems to think highly of it.

To disable Avast, right click the Avast Antivirus icon in the bottom right hand corner of your screen and select Access Protection Control.

You will see a Terminate option for the antivirus. Click this to turn off the antivirus.

I am confident increasing your RAM will resolve your problem with the "not enough memory" error.