Not sure if this falls under computer or networking; I have…

Customer Question
Not sure if this falls...
Not sure if this falls under computer or networking; I have an AOL free account, and my new e-mail box currently shows that I have 1307 new e-mails when I really only have around 350. Every time new mail comes in, I get a message that my mailbox is over 1000 and will not receive any more. It still receives mail, but the message is very annoying. How do I make my new e-mail box show the accurate number of e-mails?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/26/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

Are you using outlook express, thundrebird, or windows mail with your aol account by chance/>?
Windows
Thank you.. so your using windows mail.. or . windows live mail..

Could you tell me the version of windows you have.. XP, Vista..??
XP I think....how can I find out fr\or sure?
to find out for sure..

Please press the windows key on your keyboard , hold it down, and press R

type in winver and hit enter
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Windoows 5.1
did it come up with a window box.. and at the top of it...

did it name itself windows xp.. windows vista.. windows CE?
Microsoft Windows Version 5.1
ok.. could you try the following then

click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.

On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options.

.Click the View tab.

.Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

now click apply, and click ok.. close the window..

now click start, click run

type in %appdata% click local.. click microsoft, click windows mail

find the inbox folder. and right click it and rename it inbox.old..

then close the window and start windows mail..

that should clear up the issue, and allow it to re download all the mail.. and correct the numbers with the actual count
I'm going into all programs, but do not see windows explorer, would it be called something else?
it may not be listed.. lets try to get it another way..

Please press the windows key on your keyboard , hold it down, and press E

that should open windows explorer..

if it does.. then

.Click the View tab.

now click start, click run

I got to the point where you type in %appdata%, when I type it it, there's no option for local, only "OK", "Cancel", and "Browse"
im sorry.. once you type in %appdata%

hit enter..

then you should see a list of folders.. local should be one of them..
When I go to start, key in %appdata%, I didn't get an enter option so I hit ok, I get a menu, there's no local but there is a microsoft folder. When I double click on it, there is no windows mail folder...
We must be having a disconnect somewhere..

you had said you were using windows Mail..

i need you to be clear as possible hear.

describe the process you use to get to your mail..

do you open a program on your computer..?

or do you go directly to a website and log in?

I log into computer/windows first. After that, I log into AOL to view my e-mails. Sometimes I use Yahoo, but that's working fine. It's my AOL mailbox where it keeps adding more and more e-mails to my New box, even when I'm deleting and moving them.

Aha..

i take it you have aol desktop then.. that clears up a lot..
Thank you. I should have clarified further.. earlier on.

please go to the link below.. and follow the steps for the version of aol you have..

to carry out a quick restore of the aol software..

http://help.channels.aol.com/kjump.adp?articleId=218873

that should get the inbox reading correctly.

Will restoring AOL delete my e-mails that I currently have in my inbox?

No.. it wont delete them..

It will just refresh the software and try to correct the error it is having that is causing the issue with your inbox.
I restored AOL...before I did, I got rid of all my e-mails in my New mailbox. After I restored it, I went back in and there are no e-mails showing in my mailbox, but it's showing that there are 934.

Hello...I'm still having the problem with my New e-mail box in AOL. It shows at least 900 more e-mails than are actually there. Any assistance would be great.

Sorry.. I just now seen your replies..

lets try uninstalling the aol software.. restarting the computer. and downloading a fresh copy

go to start, control panel, add or remove programs..

and remove aol..

then..

restart the computer.. and download a fresh copy from

http://daol.aol.com/software/95

once downloaded... install it..

then.. see if theres any change in the mailbox issue