we have am epson 500 workforce printer/fax/copier we just had…

Customer Question
we have am epson 500...
we have am epson 500 workforce printer/fax/copier we just had anew phone line installed
that is hooked up to an answering machine as well but our fax will not pick up to when phone rings so we cant receive faxes not sure about sending if that part works or not it worked fine when we had phone service before so we know it does work we think its just due to the new service we just recently got
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/26/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Robert M., Consultant replied 8 years ago
Robert M., Consultant

1. test the jack going into the fax by plugging a standard phone into the same jack

2. does the answering machine pick up when the fax number is XXXXX

if you have an answering machine and a fax hooked to the same line you will either have only one of them answer either call which makes no sense as only one is operating.

or you will have to set the fax to manual and push the recieve button when what you know to be a fax call is coming in before the answering machine picks up.

the line is good we did unhook the answering machine and checked the line. The line is ok
the fax machine just does not pick up when fax comes in

you need to check the settings it should be set to automatic for fax reception

and you need to make sure that the line is hooked into the correct jack. there are sometimes 2 jacks one for the line to the wall and one to plug a phone into. it needs to be in the one that says line.