Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I believe I am out of memory space. My computer keeps shutting

Customer Question

I believe I am out of memory space. My computer keeps shutting down. I have removed every thing I can - how can I get more memory. Also, what would it cost to have VISTA removed and updated to the "new" 8?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Renju replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

When did this problem start ? Did this start after you made any software or hardware changes to your computer ?

The reasons for computer shutting down suddenly may not be due to the memory space. I will help you to figure out a solution.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Edited by Renju on 6/26/2010 at 3:44 PM EST
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, I have not added any new software. Approximately 3 weeks ago, I was in the middle of looking up something at Walmart.com and it went down. I closed everything and waited a day, went on again and down it went this time before I could even access any programs. I cant remember the error messages, but it said out of memory or something like that. It has been up-down-up since. I have done the Norton 360 fixes and whatever else it told me to do, however, it still keeps shutting down. When I log in it said "your computer shut down unexpectedly and we will try to solve the problem" . But it hasn't worked.
Expert:  Renju replied 8 years ago.

This might probably be a hardware issue rather than a software issue.
For eg: there might be a problem with the power supply unit (SMPS) or overheating of the motherboard.

Have you tried booting your system in Safe Mode ?

Tell me how long does your computer usually stay up before shutting down ?

And regarding the Out of Memory message, does it occur everytime when this happens ?
This can happen if your RAM is not properly seated in your computer.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I have not rebooted in the Safe Mode yet. Regarding the overheating, I did notice that the bottom of my computer is warmer than usual. The out of memory only appeared when it would shut off and give me the options of restarting. I believe there were 3 or 4 options. Finally, how can I tell if my RAM is not properly seated??

Expert:  Renju replied 8 years ago.

Let me first tell you that there are a lot of reasons for your problem.
To start with , it may be due to a virus.
But, as you have thouroughly scanned your computer with Norton 360, it is a remote possibility.

Still, let us confirm if it is due to a virus.

Start your computer and press Windows key+R.
Type msconfig and press enter.
In the new window, click Services tab and tick Hide All Microsoft Services and click Disable All and tick only your Norton 360 Services.
Click Apply and click Ok.
Immediately restart your computer.
While windows is loading, keep tapping F8 to enter Safe Mode(Do this even before windows logo appears).
Once you enter safe mode, check if you face this shutdown problem.
You will not be able to connect to internet while in Safe Mode.

After checking for some time, if the problem doesnt occur, repeat the earlier steps and select Enable All and restart your computer and login normally and post me the results.

You can reach this link by using this URL:
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/3o5dr-i-believe-i-am-out-of-memory-space-my-computer-keeps-shutting

Save it in a notepad file on your desktop.

Edited by Renju on 6/26/2010 at 4:45 PM EST
Expert:  Renju replied 8 years ago.

Did you try my last suggestion ?
What were the results ? Did it still shutdown in Safe Mode ?