I am trying in vain to get my itunes to work - it was working…

Customer Question
I am trying in vain...
I am trying in vain to get my itunes to work - it was working fine upuntil about 2 months ago and then stopped. I have tried downloading itunes again from scratch and it still wont work. I keep getting an error message -50. No idea. I have checked the internet connection and everything is ok there. Dont know what else to do? My son is driving me mad about it though. Please help? Thank you Jo
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/26/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Joseph, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
Joseph
Joseph, Computer Software Engineer
The first thing to do is to make sure you're running the latest version of iTunes (download it here)

or

Use the Apple Software Update program
  • Click Start > All Programs > Apple Software Update.
  1. From the Start menu, choose Computer.
  2. From the Organize menu, choose Folder and Search Options.

3. Click the View tab.
  4. In the "Advanced settings" pane under "Hidden files and folders," make sure that the "Show hidden files and folders" option is selected.

5. Click OK.
  6. Navigate to the following location by either typing it into the address bar, copying and pasting it into the address bar, or clicking through the folder hierarchy listed:

C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\iTunes

7. Right-click the SC Info folder shown and from the shortcut menu, choose Delete.

8. Restart the computer.
  9. Open iTunes and choose Store > Check for available downloads.
  10. After your rental finishes downloading, choose Store > Authorize.
  11. Enter your account name and password, then click the Authorize button.

Daft question but if I restart now will i not lose connection with you?

So before I know if it works or not do I simply accept answer?

Thanks Jo

No. Just bookmark the question (Ctrl + D) and come back to me later.

Ok just tried all of that and no joy - same answer -50 error message!

Any other ideas

Uninstall the iTunes again and isnatall the latest one, but this time when the wizard ask for saving the program don't give C:/Program files/ , instead give any other folder and install.

will i lose all my files?

Just keep a back of all the music files if any.

Ok, I have a seperate hard drive unit - but my son did a previous back up. Hes in bed so any idea how I do that?

C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media

Back up that folder.

Ok have backed up - uninstalled itunes - reinstalled itunes and tried again your instructions. Its still saying error -50.

Is there anything else I can do please?

Tech Support Specialist: Bryan, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Could you specify your security program, please? Is it Norton?

Regards

Hi - yes it is norton!

Sorry for delay was in bed! Off to work soon but will be in contact later.

Thanks

As a test ....first off, please carry out a clean uninstall of Norton/Symantec in your system by downloading the Norton Removal Tool, using the following link:
http://tinyurl.com/y7qe88

Done that, run the tool to look for and remove any traces of Norton still present in your system, restart, and check if this resolves the issues with installing iTunes all right.

Keep me posted.

Regards

Hi it still shows the same error message!

Do you know what it actually means '-50'?

Thanks for your help

Jo

It indicates that something is blocking your iTunes program from opening up properly, in all likelihood, a security program.

Now, did you make sure to run the removal tool after downloading it?

Regards

Will try again!

I deleted itunes then ran norton removal as you said - then reloaded itunes!

Do I need to try and do removal again?

Thx

No, running the removal tool once should do.

Regards

Sorry was away for a couple of days.

I have tried to re run and now I cant get the computer to even get on the internet. I cant load on norton as it was a download version we had bought and it will not let me do just about anything. It sees my wireless internet at home but wont let me connect.

I am so frustrated with what I thought wouod be a 5 minute fix has taken so long and is now causing me so much grief.

Not sure what else I can do have had to borrow a friends laptop to email you.

Any clues now?

Thanks Jo