I cant seem to set up my laptop to allow me to use it wirelessly…

Customer Question
I can't seem to set...
I can't seem to set up my laptop to allow me to use it wirelessly at my home - i am trying to set it up to use my verizon wireless connection through the verizon modem i have
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/26/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Joseph, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
Joseph
Joseph, Computer Software Engineer
Which operating system are you using ?
microsoft windows xp - it is registered to Babson College because I downloaded it from my school - i think they must be the administrator and that may be causing issues- but I'll let you determine that for sure
Please refer these link and try to connect again to the wireless router.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/wireless.mspx

and

http://e-articles.info/e/a/title/How-to-set-up-a-wireless-network-in-Windows-XP/

Make sure the connection settings are perfect.

Let me know how it goes.
i did that and everything was exactly as you said. aftrer i typed in the weP KEY, there was a box that said "please wait while Windows connects to the GRPO1 network." After a while, it just stopped and went back to the "Choose a wireless network" screen that came up after I right click the View all wireless networks.
Make sure you have disabled all the firewalls.

Turn off all the antivirus firewalls and restart.

how do i do that
Which antivirus are you using ?
ESET NOD32 Antivirus and also Windows Firewall - i think i disabled both of them, but I still have the same issue when I try to connect to the wireless network
Start, Run, COMMAND to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.
nothing was returned when i did that - it just came back to a blank screen
Did you type :IPCONFIG /ALL in the command prompt ?
i did
Type ipconfig in command prompt and let me know if something comes up .
something flashes on the screen for not even a second. it is a black box that says, i think, c:windows/systems32/ipconfig at the very top and then it disappears
type cmd and in the command prompt type ipconfig.
ok it says:
ethernet adapater wirless network connection:
media state : media disconnected

ehternet adapeter local area network
media state: media disconnected

ethernet adapter bluetooth network connection:
media state: media disconnected
First go into the Device Manager and uninstalled the wireless network adapator and restarted the computer, now the drivers were automatically detected and now tried.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/f/opendmxp.htm

Refer the above link to get into the device manger.
where is the device manager
i did that but I still can't connect = there are two icons at the bottom of my screen
one is Local Area Network and one is Wireless Network Connections2 - the second one is what i am trying to use. it lists a whole bunch of wireless networks and my network is listed, but when I click on it and enter the WEP key, it does not connect. the wireless network is GRPO1 - Security enabled wireless network (WPA2)
Right click the GRPO1 in the Networks and select the option enable if you can see that option.
it does not let me right click from here - it just says "what's this"
  1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network and Internet Connections.
  2. Under See Also, click My Network Places.
  3. There you can see your network right click there and select enable.
it is enabled, but the status says not connected
go to start>control panel>network connections then right click on your wireless connection and click properties, then click on the wireless network tab and check the box that says,"Use windows to configure my wireless network settings". Then click ok. disable and re enable your wireless connection. Then right click your wireless connection and click properties and then view wireless networks. click the wireless network you want to connect to and then click the connect button.
i still cannot connect
Ok I will opt out as am running out of ideas.