i am trying to activate windows xp but am told my product key…

Customer Question
i am trying to activate...
i am trying to activate windows xp but am told my product key is incorrect. not sure why...just went through this a couple of months ago and used the same info. I had recently moved, and my computer was dropped. (!) anyways, i have had computer issues since then and had to reformat and start all over AGAIN...very frustrating. even more so now that i am locked out of my computer. PLEASE HELP!!

thanks so much!
angela
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/26/2010
Tech Support Specialist: vasanth, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
vasanth
vasanth, Computer Software Engineer

Hello there!

You may need a new product key if your subscription has expired or you enter wrong key.

If your computer is functional, you can retrieve the product key from Windows.

How can I retrieve my Windows 2000/XP/2003 or Office 2000/XP CD Key?

If you are able to find your key, you can go ahead and use it.

Or you may visit the following links and read full text. Let the page load fully.

http://www.the-spoiler.com/wwwboard/messages/16258.html

http://www.serialportal.com/serial.php?im=77410

thanks

Thank you for your help, but i am still having problems. The first link for retrieving product key is useless if i entered wrong product key...which may be the case. The second link you sent (the-spoiler.com) is no longer available. The third link you provided gave me a product key...which did not work.

Any other suggestions please? Other than purchasing new product key. Honestly, cannot afford it. Heading to law school in september and just incurred about a gazillion (yes, that's a word) dollars worth of medical bills cuz i recently laid down my sportbike going about 80 mph. this is my first time on my computer in awhile, and I REALLY NEED TO FIGURE THIS OUT PLEASE! Smile

again, thanks so much. hopefully, you have more ideas.

Tech Support Specialist: Mike6708, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Mike6708
Mike6708, Computer Support Specialist
Have you tried the activate by phone option?

How to activate Windows XP by phone

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.
  2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.
  3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.
  4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.
  5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK. You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

Yes, i tried this option. did not work. was told my product key may have been entered incorrectly and therefore, windows cannot be activated. found a way to deactivate the windows notification for me to activate...problem is, i already ran out of time. so when i "fix" the issue (in registry editor) and restart, i get the blue window that says it is activated and am instructed to click ok. when i click ok, i am told it is not activated. so....i undid the fix and am trying to figure out how to simply get to my main screen so i can go back into the registry and fix it for good. please please help me. i am going out of my mind. incredibly far behind due to accident and really do not want to have to reformat again. ugh.

thank you!

I dont see anyway around it other then reformatting at this point just make sure when you run the install that you uncheck the automatically activate windows when im online box. And then follow the steps above to activate by phone and when the automated prompt asks you how many computers are installed with this copy of windows say 1

mike,

you're killing me. lol. seriously...no other way?

angela

Not that I can think of no sorry