i am trying to move my thunderbird email from one computer…

i am trying to move...
i am trying to move my thunderbird email from one computer to another...used mozbakup and got them over, and unzipped them....but cant get them into Tbird old sys was vista, new is win 7
6/26/2010
Dragonfly
Dragonfly, Computer Support Specialist

What is the version of T-Bird on both the PCs ?

ver 3.05 though i have had orig files back to netscape

Thanks for the info,

You need to copy the Tbird profile from one PC to another. I am posting a link that will guide you through the process.

STEP1: Backup Process:

http://email.about.com/od/mozillathunderbirdtips/qt/et_backup_prof.htm

STEP2 Profile backup:

http://email.about.com/od/mozillathunderbirdtips/qt/Find_Thunderbird_Profile_Dir.htm

STEP3: restore:

http://email.about.com/od/mozillathunderbirdtips/qt/et_restore_prof.htm

Basically you would need to create new profile in the new Tbird(win 7 pc) and then overwrite the data from the old pc to the new one.

I case you do not understand anything on the above links or have any query please lemme know.

hope it helps!

Dragonfly
Dragonfly, Computer Support Specialist
i cannot find the default profile to back up?? this is part of their process

the extention of the file is ".default" and the file name begins with some random characters.

I searched more and found this handy utility you could also try this:

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/download.php

download from sourceforge insall on both PCs , backup from one and restore on another.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly, Computer Support Specialist
as i mentioned in comment 1, I used that in the first place to move the files to the new machine...found it hours ago...sorry...it the getting them restored that wount work
NO problem let me downlaod tbird on my win 7 pc i will chk where the problem could be. please gimme a moment. thanks
tks...late here and need sleep....have a great night
sure .. I will post the solution for you and will chk again with you. BTW can you tell if you get any errors while trying to restore the backup via mozbakup

Thanks for your patience .. here is what we need to do :

on the new WIN 7 PC.

1). Uninstall thunderbird

2). Type "%appdata% in the start menu and hit "enter"

3). Look for a folder named "Thunderbird" and delete it.

on the old WIN Vista PC

1) Type "%appdata% in the start menu and hit "enter"

2). Look for a folder named "Thunderbird" and double click it.

3). Copy folder "Profiles" and file "profiles.ini" to an external drive.

again on the new PC

1). install Thunderbird and create an email account on it(this is important else the profiles folder would be visible)

2) close Thunderbird

3). Type "%appdata% in the start menu and hit "enter"

4). Look for a folder named "Thunderbird" and double click it.

5). delete folder "Profiles" and file "profiles.ini"

6). Copy folder "Profiles" and file "profiles.ini" from external drive to this location

close all the folders and start Thunderbird you should have the backup restored now

please let me know if you have any problems while performing the steps above.

regards