How do I transfer movies from my Sony DCR-HC53 handycam to…

Customer Question
How do I transfer movies...
How do I transfer movies from my Sony DCR-HC53 handycam to iMovie on a Macintosh running 10.6.3?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/25/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Engineer John C., Computer Science Engineer replied 8 years ago
Engineer John C., Computer Science Engineer
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

1- Connect the Sony handycam to your Mac using the firewire cable

2- Open iMovie

3- Click "File" then "Import from Camera"

4- That should work

Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort.

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
I've already tried that and it doesn't work.

1- Is your camera listed there ?

2- Do you see the camera icon on the desktop when you connect it ?

3- Is the camera turned on ?

Thank you

John Cappucci
Yes

Yes to the three questions ?

1- Is your camera listed there ?

3- Is the camera turned on ?
yes

That's weird!

What happens when you click "Import from Camera" ? do you get any error message ?

I'm not given the option to import at all. (I make lots of movies so I'm wholly familiar with this whole process. I just haven't used this camera to make one yet.)

That's weird.....

Please push the "Play" button on your Video Camera to make iMovie find it.

Thank you

John Cappucci
Done all that - before I came on line for help!!! It doesn't find it.

Are you sure you are using the firewire cable and not the USB one ?

Also, have you tried with a different firewire cable ?

Thank you

My son-in-law is well up the IT food chain and has just been in trying everything so far suggested. It's definitely a firewire cable. It's new. It works with my other Sony camera.

Ok, that's so weird.

This is a long shot and a trivial one, but sometimes work. Have you tried the following ?

1- Unplug the camera from the computer

2- Turn off the camera

3- Turn off your computer BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (favorite) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART.

4- Wait 60 seconds and turn on your computer

5- Plug the camera to your Mac

6- Turn on the camera and make sure there is a video tape on it.

7- Press the Play button on your camera

8- Open iMovie and let me know if it worked.

Thank you

John Cappucci
Sorry. Tried *that* already, too.

I am sorry but I am out of ideas. I will opt out so any other expert can try to help you.

Thank you
Thank you very much for your time. This is an excellent service, but since I'm at exactly the same place I was when Iogged on, I'm sure you'll understand why I won't agree to pay. I appreciate your intelligent assistance.

Don't worry about it. You click Accept only if we solve the issue.

You can wait offline and will receive an email when another expert has another idea.

Thank you!

John Cappucci