I have 2 Gateway 400sd4 laptops that both have the same problem.

Customer Question
The PCMCIA or Cardbus slots...
I have 2 Gateway 400sd4 laptops that both have the same problem. The PCMCIA or Cardbus slots are not working. I don't know if this is a hardware or software isue? I have tried reloading the cardbus drivers with no luck. When you put a card into the slots nothing happens. can you help me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/25/2010
Tech Support Specialist: DRobertson, Consultant / Technician replied 8 years ago
DRobertson
DRobertson, Consultant / Technician

Hi and thanks for writing us here at JustAnswer.com. Please know that to resolve your question may take some back and forth questions and answers. Help us to help you! We are here to help and will do our best to resolve your issue; we are not here to just make money. Also note that we do NOT work for any company and in no way represent them on their products and/or services.

I would ask right off hand, have you only tried one card in both units, and is that card the same one. I would find it rare that the exact same issue happened on both units, but would not be unreasonable to assume the card itself is out.

If it is the same card, and you can, try it in a unit that you know it's slot is working and see if that card is out.

If this is not the case, then let me know and we will move forward.

No, I wish it were that simple. I have tried several cards and have tried the cards in other laptops. I have reason to think this may be a common problem with this model machine.
Ok, let me ask, under Device Manager, do you have a category of Other or Unknown, and the vice maybe listed there. At least we would know its picking up the device, just no driver for it?
There are no unknown devices showing and under PCMCIA it is showing 02 micro 0z6912 cardbus controller.

Ok, so it is actually picking up the slot and IDing it correctly.

I have not looked up the system itself yet, but let me ask, is yours one that has an indicator light when a card is in the slot? if so, does it light up when a card is inserted?

No. That is the information that the device mgr. is showing under PCMCIA. When I plug a card into the slot there is no response. No light on the card, nothing in windows

Right, I understand. I was making reference to system I have seen that did not even show PCMCIA in DM.

Lets check this in the unit. I make reference to one, because I am going with the idea that the issue is the same on both units, so if we do find a resolve for one, then probably it will work on the other.

Lets go into the BIOS and check to see if the slot is disabled in some way.

If you need better details on this, just let me know.

I don't find the PCMCIA or cardbus listed in the bios.
Ok, I ma going to opt out, and maybe another Expert will have a better ideal for you on this. God bless.
Thanks Guy!
Sorry but the problem has not been resolved. Your tech "opted out" does this mean that you folks are unable to help me?