I have a computer that recently had a bout with a virus,but…

Customer Question
I have a computer that...
I have a computer that recently had a bout with a virus,but i used spybot and vanguished the little bugger.But for some strang reason i can't seem to get online anymore. When i try all i get is internet exploror can't connect. Now i have 2 other Laptops and they get online just fine.I've tried shutting down and restarting everything from the DSL modem and router to the monitor,and still no game.So what can i do to save my comp,aside from washing my comp and reloading everything.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/25/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited replied 8 years ago
Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
You likely still have trace files of the virus. Please do NOT accept my answer until you have done the following steps and it was successful. You may need a flash drive in order to get the program I'm going to have you download over to the infected machine. Or you may burn a CD. Please be plugged into the router with an ethernet cable.

I would like you to start in safe mode WITH networking. To do this, type the F8 key just after the initial splash screen of your computer turning on, but before ANY form of windows comes up. You'll be presented with advanced boot options, select Safe Mode with networking. If you don't see it you may have to go to more options.

Step 1: Go to control panel, click internet options. Click advanced, click restore advanced settings, then click underneath it reset (then reset again to start the reset process).

Step 2: Go to start/search. Type MSCONFIG, don't hit enter yet. Msconfig will appear above, right click, and go to run as Administrator. Go to startup. Click disable all (bottom right). Click ok. You do NOT need to reboot at this point.

Step 3: Open Internet Explorer and attempt to go to http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

Download it, install it, and run it. If it finds anything at the end (which I'm sure it will) be sure to click REMOVE SELECTED its on the bottom left. If you merely click next it won't do anything. It will ask you to reboot.

After the reboot and removal process, you may boot normally into Windows and see if you are able to get online. If you are not, please provide as many details as possible to me. Viruses can be a pain, but there are ALWAYS options not involving wiping your computer.

If you are unable to get online to the website in safe mode WITH networking, I'll need you to go to that website and download it to a flash drive, external hard drive, or burn it to CD. Then load it onto the machine in safemode /w networking.

Let me know how it goes, and remember not to Accept till you're good to go as I can further assist you.
Tech Support Specialist: Networking101, Information Systems Manager replied 8 years ago
Networking101
Networking101, Information Systems Manager

Before trying the above information, which will may very well fix the problem, check one simple thing first.

Open up Internet Explorer

Go to Tools/Internet Options

Click on the "Connections Tab"

Click On the button that says "LAN Settings"

Under the area marked PROXY server, remove any check mark that may be there.

Try to get online.

If it works great, if not, follow the above steps.

Networking101